Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,962   Posts: 1,558,318   Online: 1001

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Shoe mount viewfinder?

Does anyone know of a hotshoe mounted viewfinder with close to a 50mm perspective? I know that Cosina makes some, but I'm looking for a cheap solution. Thanks for any help.

Jmal

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Cosina/Voigtlander IS the inexpensive solution when compared to Zeiss and Leica.

Buy used from eBay if you are patient enough to wait for your price.
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

Shooter
    35mm
    yeah, tons of used viewfinders on eBay. I bought a 28mm - 135mm adjustable shoe mount finder on there for pretty cheap, maybe about $40 if I remember correctly.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Pardon the ignorance, but do the CV viewfinders have a rangefinder mechanism or are they simply a viewing glass with frame lines?

Jmal

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    No shoe mount viewfinders have a rangefinder mechanism.

There are shoe mount rangefinders, but they are not coupled to the lens, and they don't tell you where the framelines are.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I made one using the viewfinder from a camera ..a kodak pony. Dremel cutting, sanding, spray paint later and it looks pretty decent. I use it for a handheld large format viewing device/framer. Reverse it and you get about 180-200mm

Could also use lenses from cheaper turret cine cameras and crop front lens but not as good optically

Shooter
    35mm
    The viewfinder has no effect whatsoever on perspective. That is determined soley by the position of the lens in space relative to 2 or more points seperated by depth.

I believe that you are looking for an angle of view for using with a 50mm lens. Ebay would be a good place to look. There are a number of Russian choices that might please you very much. Russian items are typically inexpensive. In ordering from Russia or the Ukarine be very careful of shipping costs so that your savings do not disappear.
    Claire (Ms Anne Thrope is in the darkroom)

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Claire--yes, I'm looking for something that comes close to the angle of view of a 50mm lens to use with a pinhole body cap. Forgive the misuse of the language. I hate ebay, but I give it a look as I'm not eager to spend $130 on a CV finder.

Jmal

Shooter
    35mm
    Some pinhole cameras just have 3 pins in the top as an aiming device (very cheap!). Next cheapest option would be a scrap/broken rollfilm folder from which you could remove the viewfinder.

Shooter
    35mm
    haven't done pinholes in a very long time, but don't they generally give a wider field than a standard 50mm lens?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin