Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,000   Posts: 1,524,338   Online: 752

Shooter
    Multi Format

Thanks for the replies (Nikon F4s)

I had asked for opinions of the Nikon F4s and received some great feedback.Results were 19 pro,1 anti.
    Before I make a purchase I'd love to get my hands on one.Alas,all of my local inquires have gone unanswered.Maybe I'll run and add.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Sold my Nikon F4s years ago, sorry.

I've used the Nikon F, F2, F3, F4 and F5 professionally. Of all of them, the Nikon F5 is the best.

You have your heart set on an F4, I know, but I wanted to put a plug in for the F5 as an alternative. You won't be disappointed.
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I own all five variants. The F5 is definitely the best AF body of the bunch. For MF, the F4 is pretty hard to beat. Sure, it's fully electronic, unlike the F, F2, and, in some respects the F3, but it has the best meter display, features, and ergonomics for a MF body. One that just happens to do AF as well. It also does have some of the modular features of the earlier bodies, where you can delete the high-speed battery packs (MB-21/23) and go to the MB-20, which has a thicker grip, but makes the camera lighter and shorter. That helps make the camera a little less obtrusive and easier to handle. My plan is to pick up a MB-20 for my F4, turning it into a standard F4, instead of the F4s version, since it's not my main AF Nikon body anymore. My larger hands like the thicker grip, since it helps stabilize my 300f4.5 EDIF better. The F4, like the FA, will matrix meter with factory AI and AIS lenses, unlike the F5, which either does the 75/25 centerweighted metering or spotmetering with MF lenses. It wasn't until the F6 that Nikon had a film camera body that could matrix meter with non-CPU lenses.

The F4s feels a bit heavier than the F5, surprisingly. But, the F5 is taller, closer to an F3HP/MD-4 combo in height, but probably not as tall as the F2A/MD-1/MB-1 combo that I used to have. Still have that body, but no longer the drive.

-J
    APUG: F4, F3P, F2ASx2, F
    DPUG: D200
    Nikkors: 18-70/3.5-4.5G AF-S DX (f/D200), 24/2.8 AI, 35/2 O, 50/1.4 AI, 50/1.8 AF, 50/2 H, 85/1.8 K, 105/4 Micro AIS

My FB - My flickr stream
    My SmugMug

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The F5 would be my first choice.Alas,the spirit is willing,the bank account weak.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Mike,

You're going to hate me for this, but I only paid $275, plus tax for mine. My F4s was $175, plus tax...

-J
    Nikkors: 18-70/3.5-4.5G AF-S DX (f/D200), 24/2.8 AI, 35/2 O, 50/1.4 AI, 50/1.8 AF, 50/2 H, 85/1.8 K, 105/4 Micro AIS

My FB - My flickr stream
    My SmugMug

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hate is too harsh a word.
    I despise you!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Joking aside,where did you get such great deals?

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    :-D Perseverance, as well as knowing the people who work at the local shops.

-J

My FB - My flickr stream
    My SmugMug

Shooter
    Multi Format
    J,that's why I've set a tentative date for the purchase.Spring of 09'.In the interim I will follow ebay sales and prices listed on other sites.

Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Avoid eBay. Too much risk. A good BGN-graded F4S from keh.com will set you back $179 plus shipping (figure $225 delivered to Canada overnight). Mine was quite nice. Add a hundred bucka dn you can have an EX-rated one that you will barely be able to distinguish from new.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin