Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,291   Posts: 1,535,412   Online: 761

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

keh.com Nikon F5: BGN or EX?

I am about to buy a nikon f5 from keh. Bgn is 275 while ex is 375. Is bgn bad? If I would buy bgn I could get a 28 and 50mm lens. What do you think?
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Usually Bgn from KEH is not that bad. But there is $100 diffrence between the two which is not much. All depends on how much money you have to spend. I would go for the Bgn.

Jeff

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I have enough for a 50 and a ex f5. I would rather have a 28mm. I have money for ex but I also don't have a lot of film.
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I've only purchased Ex items from them and they always seem to be in brilliant shape with a single blemish (like the metering prisim for my 645 Pro which just has a single scratch on the top of it). Seeing as you live a whole lot closer to them, why not try the Bgn body, and if it's not for you make use of their exchange policy? Though from what I've read, everything from KEH rated above Ugly is worthy of owning.

Shooter
    Large Format
    My experience with the most excellent keh is that Ex never disappoints

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
    I've only purchased Ex items from them and they always seem to be in brilliant shape with a single blemish .
    Bgn on the other hand can be more variable: anything from so how did this become bgn to yep this has been used pretty well.

If the $100 makes a big difference to your ability to do a project or whatever then try go bgn. If you want nearly zero risk of disappointment go Ex.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    BGN stuff is usually okay but ievitably has some flaw. Sometimes the flaw is annoying, and sometimes it's no big deal. Occasionally it's fatal (like the F4S I bought that killed a set of batteries in two days unless they were completely removed from the camera ).

On the other hand I've had exceptional luck with EX-rated stuff, like my own F5 (I bought a "non-US" one since I don't care if Nikon USA will repair it; I don't live in the US) and my Bronica SQ-A.

I'd recommend the EX-rated body. However, if you don't have any Nikkors you might be better to spend your $400 on some good lenses and a basic body (there are lots of good AF Nikon bodies for well under $100 that will make nice second bodies for you later when you finally get your F5). While I think that bodies are important, for the most part glass is more important.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    Large Format
    If only KEH allowed the salesman to have the 2 cameras in his hand and discuss the two with you.

I would take the EX. The BGN may be ok, or may be trashed. You don't know and the salesman can't tell you. For only a $100, take the EX.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've bought two BGN quality lenses from KEH and they look like they just came out of the box.
    "Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here."
    CAPT. John Parker, Massachusetts Militia. 19APR1775

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Ive bought some lovely lenses for my GS-1 from Keh on BGN. No complaints. If you can afford it though, go for EX and reduce your risk as much as possible.

Which, compared to eBay is next to nothing. But still.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    if you can afford the EX do it, that is almost new
    Mama took my APX away.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin