Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,956   Posts: 1,522,872   Online: 1143

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    The Nikon 50mm f1.2 is big physically compared to the 1.4 but the 1.4 is sharper. Yes, you get an extra stop with the 1.2 but I wont use it unless I am really hurting for speed.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry 8300: BlackBerry8300/4.5.0.55 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

How about the 1.4 and 1.8 being AF and the 1.2 being MF? That makes a difference.

I have the 1.8 FWIW and love it. So reasonably priced, too.
    Kodachrome
    They give us those nice bright colors
    They give us the greens of summers
    Makes you think all the world's a sunny day, oh yeah.
    -Paul Simon

Shooter
    35mm
    What I like best about the Nikkor 50/1.2, is that it gives a brighter viewfinder than any other 50mm I have! That makes focusing in low light much easier. It also has a smoother, creamier looking bokeh than my 50/f1.4, 50/f1.8 (both Nikkor and Series E), or 50/f2 (yes, I have and use them all). BTW- the AI version of the 50/1.2 has a 7 blade diaphragm, and the AIS has the 9 blade. I see no difference in bokeh between the two.
    Of all the Nikon 50mm though, I'll have to say that my AIS Nikkor 50/f1.8 seems the sharpest of the lot. None of the Nikon/Nikkor 50mm lenses I've used were dogs, though.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I already have the AF 50mm 1.4 -- a nice lens to be sure.

The 1.2 is AI, IIRC, and manual focus. After hand-toting 300 2.8's for years, even that lens seems pretty manageable.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Miskuss View Post
    The Nikon 50mm f1.2 is big physically compared to the 1.4 but the 1.4 is sharper.
    Well, no. At equal stops the 1.2/50mm Nikkor is sharper from wide open to about 5,6. Look here: http://photo.net/nikon-camera-forum/00Ew8i

At about f2 its outstanding but unfortunately, bokeh suffers.

Shooter
    35mm

Nikon 50 mm f 1.2 MF

The best thing about this lens is that it's maximum performance is at f 2.0, and that is not the case with the 1.8 and 1.4s. Used wide open, this lens is loaded with CA (purple). At 2.0 it's perfection and the fastest lens that Nikon currently makes - Yes it is still for sale for approximately $500 USD, and don't get sucked in on eBay as many have thinking they were buying a rare gem. Get a brand new copy and enjoy !!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceOttawa View Post
    The best thing about this lens is that it's maximum performance is at f 2.0, and that is not the case with the 1.8 and 1.4s. Used wide open, this lens is loaded with CA (purple). At 2.0 it's perfection and the fastest lens that Nikon currently makes - Yes it is still for sale for approximately $500 USD, and don't get sucked in on eBay as many have thinking they were buying a rare gem. Get a brand new copy and enjoy !!!
    ...and in this same vein of thought, check out the 35mm f/1.4 as well.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    Interesting. I get completely acceptable 8x12s from my Canons shot wide open, and that is using fast color film pushed quite a lot (or digital with the EF, usually with a 10D at 1600). The Nikon must be just as good, if not better. My Canon is not even the "Aspherical" model, just plain S.S.C.
    Forgive me if I change the subject a tad, but 2F/2F, how do you like your copy of the 50L? Mine has been calibrated with and without my bodies, and it still has the dreaded focus drift issue when shooting close and fast, especially when using the center focus point. I've learned ways to mitigate it's issues over the last 12 months, and doing so means I get razor sharp images even wide open! But I regret having to give this lens special workflow, and the type of workflow I never need to perform with these: 24L, 35L, 85L, 125L and 200L...although I can get great shots with the 50L, I resent having to move my body back a tad to get it right...Caon's shame, if you ask me ;-)
    Last edited by SilverGlow; 11-04-2008 at 04:08 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Coming back home to my film roots. Canon EOS-3 SLR, Canon EOS 1V SLR, 580ex flash, and 5D DSLR shooter. Prime lens only shooter.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverGlow View Post
    Forgive me if I change the subject a tad, but 2F/2F, how do you like your copy of the 50L? Mine has been calibrated with and without my bodies, and it still has the dreaded focus drift issue when shooting close and fast, especially when using the center focus point. I've learned ways to mitigate it's issues over the last 12 months, and doing so means I get razor sharp images even wide open! But I regret having to give this lens special workflow, and the type of workflow I never need to perform with these: 24L, 35L, 85L, 125L and 200L...although I can get great shots with the 50L, I resent having to move my body back a tad to get it right...Caon's shame, if you ask me ;-)
    My copy of the 50L is nice. I have actually used the 1.4 and the newest 1.8 as well, so I have a base for judgment. All of the lenses make acceptable pix, and in the end, as far as truly discernible results, what you are really paying for with the L is that half stop. (I also feel that the 1.4 is definitely worth the price over the 1.8.) I thought I was paying for L build quality as well, but as it turns out, I broke my lens fairly easily. I bumped the lens hood straight on with a car door, and the front retaining ring (on which the name of the lens is printed) snapped off. It is plastic, while all the other Ls I have seen are metal. Canon repair was extremely rude and evasive on the phone, and one angry fellow even hung up on me once after giving me attitude. I have never had such outright aggressive and rude behavior from a corporate someone on the other end of a phone. I was finally able to determine that they do not follow the practice of by-the-job sliding pricing. Instead, every item in the catalog has several repair price tiers, into which various types of service are organized. They would not tell me into which tier my repair fell, but they did tell me what the three prices were. The cheapest one was $300. The most expensive was about $650. They absolutely tooth and nail refused to give any real information, and appeared to have very little knowledge of anything camera related, even once I was transferred away from the call center to someone who supposedly knew something. All they did was state over and over that they need the item in hand before they will talk about anything. It felt like they were trying to trick and strongarm me out of my money rather than serve a customer. So, I ordered the part for $35, and had my local guy install it for $30. After this experience, I will not ever take my camera there for anything except free sensor cleaning...and that's only if my friend is headed down there with his cameras as well. I wouldn't actually drive for it. I don't even want to buy anything from Canon.

Other than that horrible plastic front ring, the lens does have typical L build quality, though. The two things that have broken on the L are both plastic parts. I also have a crack in the focusing scale window...but that's OK, since EF focusing scales are 95% useless anyhow. HA! When someone uses the line "It's OK it broke because it was useless anyhow", it's time for a redesign on two fronts.

I did not even know there was an AF problem with this lens. I do shoot wide open very often, but don't shoot *very* close objects that often. However, I can remember some specific shots in which I shot close, wide open, and AFd on one shot with the center point (always), and got a sharp picture. Have never used an EOS film camera, so I have nothing I can post here.

Your name is not Dan, is it?
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 11-04-2008 at 05:00 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hey Colin,

I find in some circumstances it's not the sharpest kid on the block and needs a stop down or two. Don't use it enough to really be able to give you a detailed blow by blow. Handy lens to have but I don't think there's really much practical advantage over the 1.4. If you were to shoot tri x and soup it in Rodinal, it could be a good combo. ymmv of course

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin