Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,493   Posts: 1,542,987   Online: 836

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    f/1.2 is not one stop faster than f/1.4.

f/1.0 is one stop faster than f/1.4.

one stop is a factor of the square root of two, or approximately 1.414. (1.4 for the purposes of aperture stops)

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    My copy of the 50L is nice. I have actually used the 1.4 and the newest 1.8 as well, so I have a base for judgment. All of the lenses make acceptable pix, and in the end, as far as truly discernible results, what you are really paying for with the L is that half stop. (I also feel that the 1.4 is definitely worth the price over the 1.8.) I thought I was paying for L build quality as well, but as it turns out, I broke my lens fairly easily. I bumped the lens hood straight on with a car door, and the front retaining ring (on which the name of the lens is printed) snapped off. It is plastic, while all the other Ls I have seen are metal. Canon repair was extremely rude and evasive on the phone, and one angry fellow even hung up on me once after giving me attitude. I have never had such outright aggressive and rude behavior from a corporate someone on the other end of a phone. I was finally able to determine that they do not follow the practice of by-the-job sliding pricing. Instead, every item in the catalog has several repair price tiers, into which various types of service are organized. They would not tell me into which tier my repair fell, but they did tell me what the three prices were. The cheapest one was $300. The most expensive was about $650. They absolutely tooth and nail refused to give any real information, and appeared to have very little knowledge of anything camera related, even once I was transferred away from the call center to someone who supposedly knew something. All they did was state over and over that they need the item in hand before they will talk about anything. It felt like they were trying to trick and strongarm me out of my money rather than serve a customer. So, I ordered the part for $35, and had my local guy install it for $30. After this experience, I will not ever take my camera there for anything except free sensor cleaning...and that's only if my friend is headed down there with his cameras as well. I wouldn't actually drive for it. I don't even want to buy anything from Canon.

Other than that horrible plastic front ring, the lens does have typical L build quality, though. The two things that have broken on the L are both plastic parts. I also have a crack in the focusing scale window...but that's OK, since EF focusing scales are 95% useless anyhow. HA! When someone uses the line "It's OK it broke because it was useless anyhow", it's time for a redesign on two fronts.

I did not even know there was an AF problem with this lens. I do shoot wide open very often, but don't shoot *very* close objects that often. However, I can remember some specific shots in which I shot close, wide open, and AFd on one shot with the center point (always), and got a sharp picture. Have never used an EOS film camera, so I have nothing I can post here.

Your name is not Dan, is it?
    I had okay luck with the Irvine service people. I thought to replace my copy with another but while at Calumet in San Francisco, I found 3 copies there to also show the dreaded focus drift, to varying degrees. So I decided to just keep it and love with it. When not shooting close, I will say it is fantastic, contrasty, etc.

Alfred.
    Coming back home to my film roots. Canon EOS-3 SLR, Canon EOS 1V SLR, 580ex flash, and 5D DSLR shooter. Prime lens only shooter.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    I did not even know there was an AF problem with this lens. I do shoot wide open very often, but don't shoot *very* close objects that often. However, I can remember some specific shots in which I shot close, wide open, and AFd on one shot with the center point (always), and got a sharp picture. Have never used an EOS film camera, so I have nothing I can post here.
    My understanding of focus shift is that it's not an AF 'problem.' It's part of the design of the lens. On SLRs, since you focus wide open, it should pop up when you shoot stopped down. Wide open shots should be focussed where you thought they would be. If you could focus while stopped down with an SLR, you shouldn't have any focus shift.

So... all 50/1.2L's will have focus shift since the design does not correct for it.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by canuhead View Post
    Hey Colin,

I find in some circumstances it's not the sharpest kid on the block and needs a stop down or two. Don't use it enough to really be able to give you a detailed blow by blow. Handy lens to have but I don't think there's really much practical advantage over the 1.4. If you were to shoot tri x and soup it in Rodinal, it could be a good combo. ymmv of course
    Have never used Rodinal, always thought it was a slightly grainier developer..? (Perhaps another discussion)

I shot a wedding with this lens kept for a few portraits. It worked well, quite gorgeous to have so much of the image so pleasingly out-of-focus.
    I found my main trouble with it was..well, its narrow DOF. I had to REALLY work to make sure that *this* particular eyelash was in focus, and not the one several millimeters behind or in front of it.

Other than that...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    no, not the finest grain developer out there but I find it sharp. ymmv. have a pouch of xtol I really should mix up and try.

and hey, email me your address, the box of tubes and roller base of hogging valuable camera storage space

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I like my 50/1.2 very much. I use it for available light stuff, not for "normal" light. Too much flare and such for that.

The only minuses, I would say, are that it doesn't quite develop the superduper resolution of the 1.4 or 1.8 when you stop down. And the bokeh tends to develop contrasty outlines so you need to think about how OOF elements are placed in the frame. So bokeh-wise, it's no replacement for a good f/2 or f/2.8 if you have enough light for those.

But hey, the 1.2 is a trick lens, you can do nutty things with it. I will confess that I am using it mostly on a D700 d*g*tal now- they are a superb pairing IMHO. I have taken plenty of acceptable (to me) ~1/20 sec shots when the ambient light was so low that I couldn't even see my subject clearly and was just winging it with the scale. It freaks people out, they think I am doing some flash trick. No flash required, you can use subtle ambient light that most folks can't even see. If you want to see some examples and aren't violently allergic to ISO 4000 shots from a D700 then look here.

Basically, if going out at night, I don't leave home without my 1.2.
    Last edited by keithwms; 11-06-2008 at 07:31 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin