Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 73,088   Posts: 1,612,338   Online: 1176

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    i love my x-700 my first "real" camera. they probably sent yours back to you because it would cost more to repair than its actually worth. you need to cut out the middle man and have it repaired by someone you have direct contact and explain your reasons for wanting that camera repaired. i cant imagine your camera rusting to such a degree that it cant be repaired when you have always cared for it properly. a similar thing happened to me with my x-700 so i decided to buy another body on ebay. the film counter went bad on mine, not a big deal really but they told me the same story that it could not be repaired. good luck, long live the x-700!!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There's no camera made that uses stainless steel for shafts or gearing. It just not economical. There are also the circuit boards and components that can fail with exposure to liquids & a voltage going through them. Most shops don't have someone competent enough to trouble shoot down to component level, mostly it's parts swapper-outer guys.
    Corrosion can be from high humidity, a simple splash from fresh or salt water, pop being spilled on it etc.
    Some shops won't service a camera with corrosion because they don't want to warrantee it. Face it, if you camera mysteriously stops working 90 days after being "fixed" you are not going to be a happy camper.
    I've serviced some in the past and had about a 50/50 success rate.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Chazzy View Post
    Including the XD-11?
    actually I was thinking x-700, x-570, x-370.

I thought XD and XG lines were in production earlier than x-700. In my mind at the time the x-700 brought so many of the right things together. They sold a lot of them, that is for sure. Not like the Pentax K-1000, but I would not be surprised if there was more than one factory or country making them.

For my family of Rokkor lenses I now have an x-570 (actually the third one - first went capacitor wonky, ebay'ed a replacement with a broken film wind, and then finally a working one as a replacemnt from the ebay seller), as well as an srt101. The x570 I like because it gives more metering information in manual mode than the x-700 did.

The srt's are great cameras - no electronics, but a useful meter built in but non automated to match needle against - its only downside is that it is heavy. Somewhere I have instrictions to convert it from mercury cells, once the last spare one, presently somewhere in the bottom of our chest freezer, gets put into service, and in turn dies.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The XD did precede the x-700. IMO the x-700 may have been the high point in terms of features, but the XD and XE were tops in terms of function and ruggedness (with a nod to the XK, which never really took off).

I'm anxious to pick up the SRT that I just had repaired. Probably not a very wise economic move, but the SRT was my first camera that I made a decision to buy. Cost a lot of money then when you factor in what a dollar could buy back then. (Whoops, veering off topic.)

Thinking a bit about what John said, I have to wonder if they simply started stripping the camera, saw a bit of corrosion, and stopped there. Then gave you a form response.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mgb74 View Post

Thinking a bit about what John said, I have to wonder if they simply started stripping the camera, saw a bit of corrosion, and stopped there. Then gave you a form response.
    It really depends on the technician and the (apparent) severity. I hated working on corroded circuit boards. By the time you were done looking for the problem you may have been able to repair two or three other pieces. The shops I've worked in, paid on commission so the more time you wasted on something that was a total write-off was money out of your own pocket.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mgb74 View Post
    I've heard good things about Garry's Camera Repair (www.garryscamera.com). He's in Chicago suburbs but likely does most of his business via mail.

I recently took 2 bodies to him (one Nikon and one Minolta). Turnaround was quick. Haven't picked them up yet to see the results.
    The contact information on his website only has an email address--no phone number. I would really like to give him a call and explain the situation. Do you have a phone number for him?
    Charles Hohenstein

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The contact information on his website only has an email address--no phone number. I would really like to give him a call and explain the situation. Do you have a phone number for him?
    Will send you an email or PM.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As you can imagine, I'll be very interested to hear whether you are a satisfied customer, after you have the cameras back.

I could probably pick up another X-700 body on eBay in excellent condition for a hundred dollars or less--but, as I said, the camera has sentimental value and I would like to keep using it if that is practical.

I just picked up the 2 bodies (FM2 and SRT201) this evening. I won't have time to test until next week but, at first glance, all seems well.

Shooter
    35mm
    I took my Minolta X-700 to my local camera store for repair and a CLA (they sent it out to someone in Texas). It came back today with a note saying that there was rust and corrosion in the camera, and that it could not be repaired economically.

I don't understand this. What kind of parts could be in there that would rust--particularly when it was never exposed to water? Frankly, I'm skeptical--but maybe someone here can explain it to me.

Secondly, the camera has sentimental value, and the thought occurred to me that I might get a second opinion on it. Can anyone recommend a repair shop which is excellent for Minolta manual focus cameras?

Thanks very much.
    Bearing in mind your supplementary comment that you could probably buy another example for $100, the repairperson to whom the camera was sent spoke the literal truth - cost of repair maybe $150 or more, therefore uneconomic.

There may be additional factors - for example, given that repair is not economically viable, the repairperson may rarely if ever work on this type camera and therefore be out of practice - what is more, repairpeople tend not to like working on cheaper cameras, which in some cases (I know nothing specific about the X-700) were not designed to be dismantled and are therefore more laborious to fix than a Leica or pro Nikon.

Corrosion as such (unless from total submersion in sea water or similar) is not a deal-breaker - I have sent a Leica M2 for repair with a seized shutter release due to corrosion, it came back fine, and have also have several Leica R3 models (a close relative of your Minolta) serviced - all of these were in near mint condition, had been stored well but still had inaccurate meter operation due to corrosion, which cleaned up just fine.

If you really want to get your camera fixed, call repair services direct and ask if they work on this model - it may take 5 or 5 tries, but you will find somebody.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've called Garry's Camera a few times, and have only gotten his voice mail. I guess the next time I will leave my number and see whether he calls me back. Incidentally, a couple of weeks ago I picked up an absolutely mint MD 135mm/f2.8 for less than $30. It would be nice to have the f2 version, but they almost never come up on eBay and I suspect that not many were made.
    Charles Hohenstein

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin