Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,938   Posts: 1,557,288   Online: 1111

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Rust & Corrosion in a Minolta X-700?

I took my Minolta X-700 to my local camera store for repair and a CLA (they sent it out to someone in Texas). It came back today with a note saying that there was rust and corrosion in the camera, and that it could not be repaired economically.

I don't understand this. What kind of parts could be in there that would rust--particularly when it was never exposed to water? Frankly, I'm skeptical--but maybe someone here can explain it to me.

Secondly, the camera has sentimental value, and the thought occurred to me that I might get a second opinion on it. Can anyone recommend a repair shop which is excellent for Minolta manual focus cameras?

Thanks very much.
    Charles Hohenstein

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Local humidity can be very high, poor storage - yeah I lost a collection of cameras through poor storage, they rusted in the summer, because I'd stored them in my cool cellar (basement) and that's the dampest place in a house on a hot humid day. Luckily the value of the ruined cameras was low, but I laernt a sharp lesson.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've heard good things about Garry's Camera Repair (www.garryscamera.com). He's in Chicago suburbs but likely does most of his business via mail.

I recently took 2 bodies to him (one Nikon and one Minolta). Turnaround was quick. Haven't picked them up yet to see the results.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    Local humidity can be very high, poor storage - yeah I lost a collection of cameras through poor storage, they rusted in the summer, because I'd stored them in my cool cellar (basement) and that's the dampest place in a house on a hot humid day. Luckily the value of the ruined cameras was low, but I laernt a sharp lesson.

Ian
    Well, I've been trying to think of when the camera might have been exposed to high humidity. I am in an apartment with central air, and the air conditioning is ALWAYS on from Spring to Fall (I don't believe in opening windows).

But apart from that, I am surprised that critical parts were apparently made of the kind of steel that rusts. I expected that camera parts would be brass, maybe stainless steel, or even plastic in lighter, more recent cameras like the X-700, but regular steel? Wouldn't that be the kind of design choice which would lead to lots of problems along the same lines that I have apparently experienced?
    Charles Hohenstein

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mgb74 View Post
    I've heard good things about Garry's Camera Repair (www.garryscamera.com). He's in Chicago suburbs but likely does most of his business via mail.

I recently took 2 bodies to him (one Nikon and one Minolta). Turnaround was quick. Haven't picked them up yet to see the results.
    As you can imagine, I'll be very interested to hear whether you are a satisfied customer, after you have the cameras back.

I could probably pick up another X-700 body on eBay in excellent condition for a hundred dollars or less--but, as I said, the camera has sentimental value and I would like to keep using it if that is practical.
    Charles Hohenstein

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Chazzy View Post
    Well, I've been trying to think of when the camera might have been exposed to high humidity. I am in an apartment with central air, and the air conditioning is ALWAYS on from Spring to Fall (I don't believe in opening windows).

But apart from that, I am surprised that critical parts were apparently made of the kind of steel that rusts. I expected that camera parts would be brass, maybe stainless steel, or even plastic in lighter, more recent cameras like the X-700, but regular steel? Wouldn't that be the kind of design choice which would lead to lots of problems along the same lines that I have apparently experienced?
    How specific were they when they said "rust and corrosion"? Was it a generic comment?

Rust is caused my moisture, but corrosion could be caused by a leaking battery or capacitor.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mgb74 View Post
    How specific were they when they said "rust and corrosion"? Was it a generic comment?

Rust is caused my moisture, but corrosion could be caused by a leaking battery or capacitor.
    "Not economical to repair due to rust and corrosion" is all that they said." I'm still leaning toward getting a second opinion.
    Charles Hohenstein

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Gearing in the film advance mechanism is often made of hardened steel -- although not stainless steel. Camera makers began to use some plastic gears (not a good idea), so there might be a mix of plastic and metal or simply all metal.

Also, sometimes there are clips here and there to hold down parts or wires.

I agree that corrosion could be caused by a leaking battery. I don't know if that camera would have a capacitor (quite possibly).

Rust can often be removed. Corrosion is a different matter. Get a second opinion and ask for more details. But also be prepared to replace the camera. You probably could replace the body for $50 or less.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

x700 woes - me too

I hear your pain. x700 -my first slr, in service with me from 86 to 06. Mine inadvertently went for a swim, while turend on. The electronics in it have never forgiven me, even after I lovingly and promptly sucked the moisture out with dessicant packs, and warm air from a dehydrator to boot.

Actually, for the Minolta X line, the capacitors are usually the things that die. Other x line cameras I have had used electrolytics - and the 2 large 10uF ones, that I surmise store charge for shutter release, poop out over time, and , take it from my experience, are a bitch to swap out. I have tried with one camera after it started to go intermittent , and it never regained its health.

Usually the first sign is the metering LED's in the viewfinder become intermittent.

Other x-line cameras have tantalum capacitors for the 2 10uF units - which are a vastly more reliable technolgy, albeit more expensive too.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Wilde View Post
    Other x-line cameras have tantalum capacitors for the 2 10uF units - which are a vastly more reliable technolgy, albeit more expensive too.
    Including the XD-11?
    Charles Hohenstein

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin