Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 75,792   Posts: 1,671,590   Online: 946

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Part of it is taking good car of it. My really old stuff has more paint loss than would be allowable for EX, but we're talking equipment that I have had for 15+ years and used daily. 15 years is really old to me because I am only 32 years old. Still, none of my stuff is beat up..no dents, no flaws or scratches on the lens glass, etc. It all works well because I have taken good care of it (kept it in bags, or in my cabinets when not in use), and had the things serviced periodically.

I think a lot of the stuff KEH sells that are in really nice shape were just not used much. Many amateurs have a lot of money and buy things like Hasselblads or Nikon F5's or Leicas and rarely use them to take actual photos....they just have them to brag about being "Photographers". These are great people to buy gear from cause its nearly new! Those of us who do this professionally and use the gear daily cannot keep it in flawless shape no matter how well we treat it.
    Chris Crawford
    Fine Art Photography of Indiana and other places no one else photographs.

http://www.chriscrawfordphoto.com

My Tested Developing Times with the films and developers I use

Become a fan of my work on Facebook

Fort Wayne, Indiana

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Yay! I just bought a F5! I hope it's a rich amateur used one!
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

Shooter
    35mm
    Some of my cameras I couldn't care less about... and it shows.

Other cameras of mine I love possibly more than I could a human child... and it shows.
    That's just, like, my opinion, man...

Shooter
    35mm
    Well I carry two or three cameras around in a padded bag and use half the cases on my cameras (full cases too bulky), before setting off for a shoot/holiday....... and just add some sheet bubble foam for extra precaution to stop the cameras and lenses bumping into each other.
    Of course store lenses, when not used, in a dry place to stop fungus.

Also I don't abuse my equipment and it all works for me.

BTW forgot to mention:- choose a good camera strap (some old Olympus and Pentax with cameras are rubbish) and would be more prone to scratch the top of the camera (when camera is packed away and not used). But must admit I haven't bought a camera strap for donkey's years, maybe the newer ones have plastic buckles.
    Last edited by Excalibur2; 09-18-2008 at 06:10 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I think some cameras that end up EX just haven't been used much. I worked with a guy who stockpiled gear, only to sell it years later. He used things once or twice and that was it.

I've a Graflex Speed Graphic that is absolutely broken in, almost beaten up. It's my favorite. Even more so than the unused late-model Crown Graphic that I never touch. Just doesn't feel the same to me.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillip P. Dimor View Post
    I think some cameras that end up EX just haven't been used much. I worked with a guy who stockpiled gear, only to sell it years later. He used things once or twice and that was it.
    This would be like my dad. My Nikon FG I... um borrowed several years ago from him works perfectly. This is because it was in its heavyduty camera case for probably 10-13 out of the 17 years before I got my grubby mitts on it. That said, I use mine and take good care of it.

Marko, maybe you should look into an "ever ready" case for your SLR? They tend to attach to the tripod socket and are only one snap on the cover to take it on and off but they're quite sturdy and will probably protect against the odd scrap against a wall. This sort of case used to be common for every single camera so I now have a pile of them from my Ilford Sporti/Sportsman cameras and from my Finetta cameras... I don't use them but generally I am very careful with my cameras.
    ~Heather
    oooh shiny!
    http://www.stargazy.org/

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JBrunner View Post
    Some of my cameras I couldn't care less about... and it shows.
    Hooray! An American using this phrase properly.

The more usual US version of "I could care less" doesn't make any sense to me.

Anyway - back to our regular program: All of my cameras are bought to be used. Having said that, I do try to look after them. I don't think I have damaged one ever other than a few scratches etc.

I have the same thoughts on guitars. The Gretsch which you can see in my avatar was bought about 18 months ago for £1700 ($3400) which is a lot (especially for me) but it was bought as a tool to be used at gigs, not to be kept at home for looking at.

Despite that, imagine my despair on Sunday when I walked away from the stage with my guitar lead round my foot and sent the guitar on its stand crashing to the floor breaking the headstock off. It will be repaired by a local violin making genius and it will be very hard to see the join but I am still very angry with myself.

My cameras are not in this league as they are all old and cheap and may easily be replaced but that is not a reason to not look after them properly.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It might help if you have some sort of case to carry your camera in.

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    "Hooray! An American using this phrase properly.

The more usual US version of "I could care less" doesn't make any sense to me."

I did not know this was a United States of American usage. I always just attributed it to inattentiveness, sloppiness, or ignorance, and figured that inattentive, sloppy, ignorant English speakers everywhere use it.

Honestly, I do not think that "could care less" is the "usual" usage here.

Another one that really gets me is "a whole 'nother"...argh...or "ATM machine".

That's what happens when for 50 years you waste all your money paying interest on debt and devising new fangled ways to kill foreign people instead of educating your own population.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 09-18-2008 at 04:09 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    Honestly, I do not think that "could care less" is the "usual" usage here.

According to this: http://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-ico1.htm
    It is a US thing only. That does not mean it is the accepted norm but I have only ever heard it with an American accent.

Extract from web page: "The inverted form 'I could care less' was coined in the US and is found only there".

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin