Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,492   Posts: 1,571,360   Online: 953

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Great Website, Steve! Thanks for that.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    Who cares? Whether or not it works is what matters.
    I thought having a camera where the paint/enamel had worn off to reveal those nice brassy bits was considered a badge of honour, actually!

Certainly doesn't bother me. I bought my cameras to use not as investments - the more scratched the body gets the more I must be using it
    Another day goes under; a little bourbon will take the strain...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Another one that really gets me is "a whole 'nother"...argh...or "ATM machine".
    I'm annoyed every time I drive by a branch of a certain local bank. It says right on the sign, "UMB Bank." Without the acronym it reads, "United Missouri Bank Bank." Ugg..
    "Technology is a big destroyer of emotion and truth. Opportunity doesn't do anything for creativity. Yeah, it makes it easier and you can get home sooner, but it doesn't make you a more creative person. That's the disease you have to fight in any creative field.. ease of use." - Jack White

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't baby my gear but I do take care of it. I like to keep it in good condition and It really isn't that hard to avoid damaging it. Still, I bought it to use it, not to put it on a shelf to look pretty.

The only camera I own right now that was bought new is my F100 and it's still in really nice shape, even though it's 5 years old. I somehow scratched the pentaprism (maybe 5 mm long) but other than that, the camera is fine. I'm thinking that it would be EX-rated by KEH standards, certainly not EX+. I'd certainly be thrilled to get that camera if I'd only paid for BGN-grade.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by chriscrawfordphoto View Post
    Part of it is taking good car of it. My really old stuff has more paint loss than would be allowable for EX, but we're talking equipment that I have had for 15+ years and used daily. 15 years is really old to me because I am only 32 years old. Still, none of my stuff is beat up..no dents, no flaws or scratches on the lens glass, etc. It all works well because I have taken good care of it (kept it in bags, or in my cabinets when not in use), and had the things serviced periodically.

I think a lot of the stuff KEH sells that are in really nice shape were just not used much. Many amateurs have a lot of money and buy things like Hasselblads or Nikon F5's or Leicas and rarely use them to take actual photos....they just have them to brag about being "Photographers". These are great people to buy gear from cause its nearly new! Those of us who do this professionally and use the gear daily cannot keep it in flawless shape no matter how well we treat it.
    I agree, If you are a camera collector then the object is to keep it as cosmetically perfect as possible .Sure you use it but I bet you don't get as many good photographs.
    my cameras are tools not investments. I am not a pro ,but I do want to take good photographs. Camera collecting also sounds like a fun hobby I think I would enjoy it actually. but my budget forces me to pick on over the other.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    "Hooray! An American using this phrase properly.

The more usual US version of "I could care less" doesn't make any sense to me."

I did not know this was a United States of American usage. I always just attributed it to inattentiveness, sloppiness, or ignorance, and figured that inattentive, sloppy, ignorant English speakers everywhere use it.

Honestly, I do not think that "could care less" is the "usual" usage here.

Another one that really gets me is "a whole 'nother"...argh...or "ATM machine".

That's what happens when for 50 years you waste all your money paying interest on debt and devising new fangled ways to kill foreign people instead of educating your own population.
    2F/2F Some of American English usage goes back to the early English settlers, and the English usage in the seventeenth century, a couple of examples that occur to me is " Yea long" to describe length, we say "So long"and "In back" we say "In the back", but I don't know about this particular one.
    Last edited by benjiboy; 09-19-2008 at 04:49 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Ben

Shooter
    Large Format
    Judging anyone on how good or serious of a photographer they are based on the condition of their gear is reverse snobbery at best. Some people are just naturally careful with their stuff and others sloppy and some are careful with some stuff but not others. One person could read a book several times and understand what was written in it without the book looking even read whereas another person may read a book once and it looks like a library discard. Last year I sold my Spotmatic that except for some brassing looked new not 30 years old and I took it hiking, spent three full summers in tents and the field in the sub arctic and shot with it in snow, rain and any other condition as my main camera for 14 years. But it was kept in a case when not in use and mud and water wiped off. I never leave my gear rolling around on the floor of the trunk nor do abuse it. I have seen cars less than 3 years old look like they are ready for the junk yard and 15 year old cars with high mileage , never restored that looked much newer than the 2 year old car. Does not make the owner of the newer car a better driver. By looking after one's gear not only does it resale value stay higher (and having sold one 30 year old camera that made a difference of only about 10) but one would have less chances of damage to the function of the gear and well looked after equipment is less likely to break down. And people who beat their cameras do also make great photos. It is not a question of who takes the better photos but who is easier on the gear. I would never judge a person's ability based on the condition of his camera positive or negative. It might make a difference on if I would lend them my gear though.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Davesw View Post
    I agree, If you are a camera collector then the object is to keep it as cosmetically perfect as possible .Sure you use it but I bet you don't get as many good photographs.
    my cameras are tools not investments. I am not a pro ,but I do want to take good photographs. Camera collecting also sounds like a fun hobby I think I would enjoy it actually. but my budget forces me to pick on over the other.
    Yeah I can't afford to collect either. I buy my cameras to use, not to display or fondle. I would like to buy more old cameras if I could afford to collect, but I would be a user-collector. My collection would be of working cameras that I actually use. I have a couple of old cameras like that which are not worth much money, so I got them cheap, but they're fun. I have an old Pentax Spotmatic and a couple of lenses, and a Minolta SRT 101. My main 35mm gear is a pair of Olympus OM-4T bodies and a large collection of Zuiko lenses.
    Chris Crawford
    Fine Art Photography of Indiana and other places no one else photographs.

http://www.chriscrawfordphoto.com

My Tested Developing Times with the films and developers I use

Become a fan of my work on Facebook

Fort Wayne, Indiana

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Markok765 View Post
    Almost all KEH cameras have at least a EX version of the camera. ... so how do you guys keep your stuff in good condition?
    If you want it to look like KEH's, do what they do - let it sit on the shelf.

Used cameras will get "used". Nothing wrong with a user, unless you're a collector. If you're a collector, you're not a user - although some people may be both.

Jeff M

JLP
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I thought having a camera where the paint/enamel had worn off to reveal those nice brassy bits was considered a badge of honour, actually!

Certainly doesn't bother me. I bought my cameras to use not as investments - the more scratched the body gets the more I must be using it
    Reminds me so much about those Lawyers and dentists that "wana be bikers" trying to scratcs their leather to look worn.
    Bikers they never will be.
    A torn up camera is not synonimous with a good photographer could just be a poor one
    That said, i take good care of all my cameras and lenses as well as my guitars and everything else that i own. i earn my money to pay for it why not try to keep it as best as possible while enjoy using it?

jan

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin