Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 76,307   Posts: 1,681,668   Online: 1027

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    marko

i think some folks buy two cameras, one to use
    and one to sell when they are BROKE.
    cameras that are mint, probably were never removed from
    their box and sold when the time and price was right.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JLP View Post
    A torn up camera is not synonimous with a good photographer could just be a poor one
    Who said 'good'? I just said 'must be using it more', only a fool would try and correlate the amount a camera is used with how good the photographer is.
    That said, i take good care of all my cameras and lenses as well as my guitars and everything else that i own. i earn my money to pay for it why not try to keep it as best as possible while enjoy using it?
    I guess I don't see "take good care of" and "keep cosmetically good" as being the same thing - at all.

Take laptops; some people seem to get through them like water. I have about a dozen in cupboards dotted around the place, all in perfect working order. (The batteries normally die of old age, but that's about it.) The oldest is about 18 years old. They all look like they've been through the wars, with scratched paint and covers and so on, but then again that's because I use the damn things anywhere and everywhere.

I have every single mobile phone I've ever had (and I worked as an engineer for a mobile phone manufacturer's R&D department 12 years ago, so that's quite a few.) Every single one works. Look like shit, but as far as I'm concerned I've kept them in perfect condition because as tools they still do their job.

My cameras are the same. My 1V was bought brand new. It'll get sold when I die, and not before, so who cares about resale value. It acquired its first scratch on the pentaprism within a month of my having it - I shrugged my shoulders and said "good, glad that's out of the way, I can stop worrying about it now." If I'm scrambling up the side of a mountain with the camera round my neck, it's gonna get scratched. It's a tool, it gets treated like one!
    Another day goes under; a little bourbon will take the strain...

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Markok765 View Post
    Almost all KEH cameras have at least a EX version of the camera. I don't see how people keep their cameras like this! They must use them in a studio environment only!

Eg: My familys canon EOS 350D DSLR would be considered UG by keh, with a lot of scratches, and "Brassing" though it's a plastic body. My pentax SLR [screwmount] has a good amount of scratches and wear, and I don't even use it more than 2x a week!

Anyways, so how do you guys keep your stuff in good condition? I don't mind some good use marks on my cameras, but I'm just wondering how you take care of your stuff?
    Some people have lots of equipment and don't use all of it everyday. Perfect example was with a D70S I had a couple of years ago. I had a pair of D1X's and a D200 at the time and I hardly ever used that D70S. I sent it to KEH in its original box with original cables, LCD cover, CD, instruction books, etc. The camera I sent them looked new, not even a scratch on it.

They told me that it evaluated at EX condition (which I did not agree with, I know that this particualr camera was at least in LN condition). I wanted a new Nikon 300mm 4.0 AF-S and they were the only ones who had that lens new in stock at the time, so I took what they gave me and paid the difference for the new lens. My guess is that they do this to others as well; they tell their clients that their cameras are low grades but sell the same at higher grades.

Ironically, I have only used that new 300mm 4.0 AF-S lens about 4 times (I purchased an aftermarket Kirk collar for it) and I have kept it in its case for the past year! In a couple of years I will end up selling that lens (which will be in LN condition). I won't make the mistake of selling it to KEH though.
    Last edited by snegron; 09-20-2008 at 09:07 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    My EX lens has some very light plastic wear on the lens.
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I do take care of my equipment (and when not used they are in dedicated camera bags), but all mine cameras have paint scratched on bottom. I guess I put them on hard coffe shops tables too often
    Bosnia... You don't have to be crazy to live here, but it helps...
    No things in life should be left unfinis

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Markok765 View Post
    Almost all KEH cameras have at least a EX version of the camera. I don't see how people keep their cameras like this! They must use them in a studio environment only!

Eg: My familys canon EOS 350D DSLR would be considered UG by keh, with a lot of scratches, and "Brassing" though it's a plastic body. My pentax SLR [screwmount] has a good amount of scratches and wear, and I don't even use it more than 2x a week!

Anyways, so how do you guys keep your stuff in good condition? I don't mind some good use marks on my cameras, but I'm just wondering how you take care of your stuff?
    Simple, I take care of my stuff..Evan Clarke

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I'm really really careful with my cameras... I have in the past dropped 2 cameras which resulted in severe nausea, mood swings, depression, yelling at myself, and a decrease in extra funds. Ever since the last camera drop I am extremely careful with my stuff. Want to borrow my Benz for the day? No Problem. Want to borrow my Leica screw mount for the day? NO WAY! Be nice to your stuff

-Joe

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    When I was young it was the norm to take a sheet of sandpaper to a new black-finish camera and brass up the corners so it looked like it had been dragged through hell, and maybe bash in the prism as if it had deflected an AK47 round in 'Nam. Taking 'really good care' of a camera was considered, well, not quite right in the head.
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Lindan View Post
    When I was young it was the norm to take a sheet of sandpaper to a new black-finish camera and brass up the corners so it looked like it had been dragged through hell, and maybe bash in the prism as if it had deflected an AK47 round in 'Nam. Taking 'really good care' of a camera was considered, well, not quite right in the head.

Actually, there probably is a practical consideration there - no-one's going to try nicking your camera in that state...
    Another day goes under; a little bourbon will take the strain...

Shooter
    35mm
    In the boom years of the '70's and '80's, lots of people bought film cameras, particularly 35mm SLRs,
    yet seldom used them. That's why there are plenty of near-new looking 20-30 year-old cameras.

KEH knows used buyers prefer gear in cosmetically good condition,
    so they pay more for gear in EX or better condition in trade-in.

KEH rates conservatively; i.e. many other sellers would grade any given item higher.

Chris

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin