Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,038   Posts: 1,560,675   Online: 996

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    If the shutter was sticking open for a 1/3rd of a frame there would be substantially more streaking and over exposure. It may not be quite closing fully so as the camera winds on you get this streaking in the night shots, in bright light it would just be enough to cause ghosting.

Ian
    If I am correct, those color shots were not posted by the OP, so it is a different problem. I was answering the poster of the color shots, not the OP.

"Not quite closing fully so as the camera winds", etc. is exactly what I meant when I said "sticking open for the first 1/3 frame or so as the film advances".

As I mentioned, re: the color pix, it could also be that the shutter is fine, but the camera starts winding too soon as the shutter closes.

Also, Excalibur2. This would not affect frame spacing at all.

Nor would this problem cause ghosting in bright light over the entire image. My IIIc has the same problem. After exposure, the curtain does not fully close. The curtain sits there open in front of the last frame you shot until you advance/cock. Thus, the longer you wait after the exposure to advance the film, the worse it is. In bright light, you don't get ghosting at all. You get a jacked up overexposed vertical streak from the shutter hanging up after the exposure, followed by bright horizontal lines from pulling the film across the partly open curtain as you advance and reset the shutter. The camera is unusable in the day because of this.

As for the OP, perhaps the curtain stays open entirely sometimes until the film winds and cocks it. This would drag the whole composition across what you had just exposed, making the ghost effect, the soft effect, and the streak effect.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 09-21-2008 at 06:33 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    If the shutter was sticking open for a 1/3rd of a frame there would be substantially more streaking and over exposure. It may not be quite closing fully so as the camera winds on you get this streaking in the night shots, in bright light it would just be enough to cause ghosting.

Ian
    Well the lens used was either a sigma or Canon W/A....and they are bitingly sharp in bright light.........when I've used the film up in the T90, i'll point the camera at a dark cupboard with the back open and try and see (and hear) what's going on...thanks

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur2 View Post
    Well the lens used was either a sigma or Canon W/A....and they are bitingly sharp in bright light.........when I've used the film up in the T90, i'll point the camera at a dark cupboard with the back open and try and see (and hear) what's going on...thanks
    I am thinking that the timing of your advance motor might just be slightly ahead. It's nothing you'd probably be able to see.

However, if the shutter hangs up while closing after a B exposure, you could be able to see it briefly.

I would say the T90 might be worth fixing, but probably not the Minolta. I say this based on monetary values and repair costs alone, not as a judgment of the quality of the cameras.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    If I am correct, those color shots were not posted by the OP, so it is a different problem. I was answering the poster of the color shots, not the OP.

"Not quite closing fully so as the camera winds", etc. is exactly what I meant when I said "sticking open for the first 1/3 frame or so as the film advances".

As I mentioned, re: the color pix, it could also be that the shutter is fine, but the camera starts winding too soon as the shutter closes.

Also, Excalibur2. This would not affect frame spacing at all.

Nor would this problem cause ghosting in bright light over the entire image. My IIIc has the same problem. After exposure, the curtain does not fully close. The curtain sits there open in front of the last frame you shot until you advance/cock. Thus, the longer you wait after the exposure to advance the film, the worse it is. In bright light, you don't get ghosting at all. You get a jacked up overexposed vertical streak from the shutter hanging up after the exposure, followed by bright horizontal lines from pulling the film across the partly open curtain as you advance and reset the shutter. The camera is unusable in the day because of this.

As for the OP, perhaps the curtain stays open entirely sometimes until the film winds and cocks it. This would drag the whole composition across what you had just exposed, making the ghost effect, the soft effect, and the streak effect.
    Thanks for your replies.........Well I might have cocked the thread up, by posting but the problems seemed similar i.e. shutter and lens.........I now understand what you are saying, but for me the electonics control advancing to the next frame (shot) automatically....so I might have bought a dodgy camera that doesn't like taking night shots on auto.....but will try again on manual setting.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin