Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,217   Posts: 1,532,137   Online: 1029
      
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12
  1. #1
    eli griggs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    NC
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Posts
    358

    what m42 lens for Yashica slr

    While Canon FD lenses and bodies are my go-to slr, I just received a great old slr, a Yashica TL-Super and need some lenses to get it properly into action. What can you recommend in the way of inexpensive yet quality lenses for this camera?

    I am also hoping to one day add a Pentax or other m42 bodies to my bag so a recommendation on manual cameras are also welcome.

    Cheers

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    UK
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    409
    Quote Originally Posted by eli griggs View Post

    I am also hoping to one day add a Pentax or other m42 bodies to my bag so a recommendation on manual cameras are also welcome.

    Cheers
    Ermm I wouldn't bother too much with M42 lenses or Cameras (for film), when ordinary Canon FD lenses are going cheap...if you already have a Canon FD mount just get an adapter for M42 if you want to try say Russian lenses.

    But if you want run of the mill M42 lenses then Pentax is a good start, I have three 35, 55, 135mm but I'm not impressed with them (but others are), maybe in the past I bought them when these slipped under the quality control...mind you my sharpness comparisons are with a Nikkor 50mm, Olympus 50mm and Hexanon 40mm.
    Last edited by Excalibur2; 09-21-2008 at 08:53 AM. Click to view previous post history.

  3. #3
    Ian Grant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    West Midlands, UK, and Turkey
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    16,228
    Images
    148
    Tamron Adaptall 28mm f2.5, 90mm & 135mm all excellent lenses and by having spare mounts can be used on a wide range of cameras.

    Ian

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    UK
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    409
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    Tamron Adaptall 28mm f2.5, 90mm & 135mm all excellent lenses and by having spare mounts can be used on a wide range of cameras.

    Ian

    ...but would the 90mm be cheap.....nothing seems cheap on ebay from 85-105mm as I need a prime telephoto to fill a gap (not impressed with zooms that I have tried).

    And the problem is:- mention an "unknown" cheap gem on a public forum and the price goes up on Ebay.
    Last edited by Excalibur2; 09-21-2008 at 08:39 AM. Click to view previous post history.

  5. #5
    Ian Grant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    West Midlands, UK, and Turkey
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    16,228
    Images
    148
    Sometimes the Tamron 90mm sell for a reasonable price. I have the 28mm &135, and I've used the 90mm and all three are as good as the major manufacturers .

    The Vivitar Series One zooms are superb, I had the 70-210mm f3.5 Zoom which was the first version that was available in M42 thread. Mine was stolen but I now have the later f2.8 version which is an outstanding performer, and I used it for years to shoot rock concerts.

    Ian

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    UK
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    409
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post

    The Vivitar Series One zooms are superb, I had the 70-210mm f3.5 Zoom which was the first version that was available in M42 thread. Mine was stolen but I now have the later f2.8 version which is an outstanding performer, and I used it for years to shoot rock concerts.

    Ian

    Yes series one is reckoned to be very good, but I've found with the zooms that I've tried so far (inc Canon), is that they have their sweet spots but are not excellent throught the range...e.g Tokina is VG at max 200mm and the Canon is crap at max 210mm. And not many people recommend a zoom for portraiture (for the usual reasons) when using between 85-105mm

    As zooms seem to be still going cheap maybe the question for me (and maybe others) should be:-

    What make of MF zoom (other than Nikon) can give the best results from 85-105mm ....the 70-150mm Kiron I tried seemed to be promising (well in daylight away from the sun) and I bought it cheap because of fungus...I gambled it was a small amount...well it was soooo much that when using flash in a room it had a flare problem...anyway took it to bits to try and clean the lenses and forgot how to put it back together again, so just using some elements for magnifying use....anyway it was only a loss of £5.

  7. #7
    Markok765's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    2,270
    Blog Entries
    1
    Images
    24
    Pentax 35mm F3.5 super takumar
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

  8. #8
    Ian Grant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    West Midlands, UK, and Turkey
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    16,228
    Images
    148
    Back in the late 70's early 80's Camera magazine ran a series of excellent test reports on the best Independent lenses and the equivalent focal lenghts from the main 5 camear manufacturers. Only the Vivitar Series One lenses were consistently on a par with the best then available, some of the Tamron SP's particularly the 90mm were good too.

    I'd guess most of my images made with the S1 70-210 Vivitar were shot between 70 - 135 and I always found it an superb, it was fine at the 210end as well, I often shot Fuji 50D and never noticed a drop in quality through its range so I'd highly recommend them.

    There's also a Tamron Adaptall 105mm f2.5 that's very good, I just remembered I bought one 18 months ago to use on my Spotmatic, but I've also used it on an EOS as well with an adaptor.

    Ian

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    UK
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    409
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    Back in the late 70's early 80's Camera magazine ran a series of excellent test reports on the best Independent lenses and the equivalent focal lenghts from the main 5 camear manufacturers. Only the Vivitar Series One lenses were consistently on a par with the best then available, some of the Tamron SP's particularly the 90mm were good too.

    I'd guess most of my images made with the S1 70-210 Vivitar were shot between 70 - 135 and I always found it an superb, it was fine at the 210end as well, I often shot Fuji 50D and never noticed a drop in quality through its range so I'd highly recommend them.

    Ian
    A source says there were numerous series 1 and the best were these:-

    first made by Kiron
    second made by Tokina
    third made by Komine

    forth and fifth with inferior construction quality and made by Cosina.

    So a bit of research might be required to buy the right one.

  10. #10
    Ian Grant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    West Midlands, UK, and Turkey
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    16,228
    Images
    148
    All the early ones were excellent, but I think as the company grew things changed. (90's)

    Two absolute gems we haven't mentioned are the 28mm f1.9 WA and the Vari-focal 35-85 f2.8. These lenses rarely appear on Ebay because they are so good no-one wants to sell them.

    Ian

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin