Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 76,354   Posts: 1,682,602   Online: 936

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Nikkormat FT2

Shooter
    35mm
    Blog Entries

Nikkormat FT2

I purchased a pristine, well cared for black Nikkormat FT2. I have used it for Slides and the accuracy is very good. I thought Olympus OM1's were good Cameras, until I got this Camera. Nikon, were wrong to consider this Camera as being their budget range. The fact you can use all of the Nikon Lens, is cause for celebration. It is not important that you cannot change the screen, like the OM1. The Nikkormat's Fresnel matte screen is well designed and bright, job done

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I had a Nikkormat about twenty five years ago. I used mine for slides most of the time too. Exposure was usually spot on.

After a couple of years I changed to a Nikon FG which I still have and use. This is another model which gets overlooked but it is as compact as the Olympus OM and was well featured at the time with manual, aperture priority and program modes and it could also support TTL flash (which I don't use).

I suppose there was no real need for me to change from a Nikkormat to a Nikon but when you are young the name on the front is important.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    the nikkormats are a really nice camera. i bought a late FTn back in 1975 and have just bought an FT3. all mechanical and straightforward with only the basics/essentials: film speed, aperture, shutter speed and focus. they are real pleasure to use and as you note produce results that are on par with the best 35mm cameras.

i suspect the FM, FM2, FM2n mechanical nikons that followed in 1977 are nice as well but have had no personal experience.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I've owned many of these bodies over the years in all the FT-series flavors. They're very durable beasts. Good build quality, reliable, and pretty accurate, meter-wise, as long as the carbon ring resistor's in good shape. They're also cheap. If you're used to having the shutter speed dial on the top cover, it make take a little time to get used to having it as a ring around the lens mount. But, that does give you the ability to change both shutter speed and aperture with one hand.

One malady I recently discovered: Bought an FTn with a dead meter a few weeks ago. Found that there was a pretty mean looking dent underneath the wind lever. Once I removed the top cover, I was able to short the contacts together on the meter switch. Meter worked fine. So, sometimes, a dead meter can be solved by replacing the top cover with an undented part.

-J
    APUG: F3P, F2AS, Nikomat FT2
    DPUG: D2x
    Nikkors: 18-70/3.5-4.5G AF-S DX (f/D2x), 20/3.5 UD, 24/2 AI, 35/2 O, 50/2 H, 50/1.4 S, 85/1.8 K, 105/4 Micro AIS, 180/2.8 PC
    'tax gear: Spot II, 55/1.8 Super-Multi-Coated Takumar

My FB - My flickr stream
    My SmugMug

Shooter
    35mm
    Not to mention that if in a fix you can drive nails with them. I have 2 FTn's. One ugly as all get out and the other almost mint. Both have a working meter. They are both about a stop off of my F3 so I just adjust the ASA to match. So simple. I love them.
    "There is something about the mystery
    of what is on a roll of film that keeps
    me shooting, none of that digital
    instant gratification for me."

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Which way are they off a stop? Is it overexposure or underexposure? Reason I ask, is that if it's the former, try a normal silver-oxide PX625 in there. Might bring the meter back into spec...

-J
    APUG: F3P, F2AS, Nikomat FT2
    DPUG: D2x
    Nikkors: 18-70/3.5-4.5G AF-S DX (f/D2x), 20/3.5 UD, 24/2 AI, 35/2 O, 50/2 H, 50/1.4 S, 85/1.8 K, 105/4 Micro AIS, 180/2.8 PC
    'tax gear: Spot II, 55/1.8 Super-Multi-Coated Takumar

My FB - My flickr stream
    My SmugMug

Shooter
    35mm
    I will have to try that John. Is PX625 the actual part number for the silver replacement or is it the same as a SR44?
    "There is something about the mystery
    of what is on a roll of film that keeps
    me shooting, none of that digital
    instant gratification for me."

Shooter
    Large Format
    px625 is the mercury battery. sr44 is one of the common silver cell replacements. see eg http://www.smallbattery.company.org...._catalogue.htm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    For the FTn, which takes the 625 size batteries, you'll need to find a mercury 625 (highly unlikely; these haven't been available in the US for years). Or, get a 675 size zinc-air hearing aid battery and use a washer or something that will enable it to fit the battery compartment, since the 675 is smaller than the 625. Mercury 625s and the zinc-airs give the proper voltage, 1.35V.

You can find alkaline 625s, but they give 1.5V and so would underexpose by 1 stop with the FTn's meter. I don't believe you can find silver oxide 625s. The SR44 is also 1.5V (and is the size of the 675, so needs a spacer also). You can use 1.5V batteries in the camera OK; just set the film speed one stop slower -- for 400 speed film, set the camera for 200 speed, for example.

Silver oxide batteries work similarly to mercury batteries, in that they produce constant voltage almost right up to when they die. Alkalines aren't as good, since their voltage falls off slowly and steadily over their lives. Not critical for print film, maybe, but this could be a problem with slide film.

Shooter
    35mm
    The FT-2 was my first, and for many years it was my only, camera. Mine has literally gone around the world with me.

It is built like the proverbial "brick shithouse" and if weren't for the fact I want to be creamated at death I would have it buried with me.

It is one of Nikon's greatest cameras - even if they did call it a Nikkormat!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin