Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,557   Posts: 1,545,144   Online: 1016

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF

What Minolta was the top of the line?

I realize that Minolta is no longer and that Sony Alpha cameras use the same lens mount since Sony bought Minolta.

I've switched to the Alpha cameras for my digital needs but would like a film camera with the same mount.

I'm switching from Canon and although I use this gear mostly for digital I do own a top of the line Canon Eos IV film camera.

Besides the full frame Alpha bodies I now have their Zeiss 135mm F1.8 and Zeiss Planar 85 F1.4 lens.

My question is what model was Minolta's top of the line/best ever/latest version of a high end film camera.

-rob
    Rob Skeoch
    This is my blog http://thepicturedesk.blogspot.com/
    This my website for photo supplies...
    www.bigcameraworkshops.com
    This is my website for Rangfinder gear
    www.rangefinderstore.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    IMHO this was the top of the line for Minolta.

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography...taxk/index.htm

There were newer cameras that came out but this one is really sweet. As long as you don't want AF.

If AF is important then this one:

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography...um7k/index.htm

I've used this camera I IMHO it's a pukie light thing.
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I use a Maxxum 9, one of the last high end film camera produced by Minolta. Excellent build, features and performance. The Maxxum 9 (and the cheaper Maxxum 7) will take the Sony Alpha lenses.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I used the XE from the 70's and I feel it is on par with the Fe2 (and I prefer both to the bigger bulkier F3 or 4 nikons). I can't comment on the newer minoltas other than the DSLR's

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    The Dynax (Maxxum) 9 is a incredible camera. Build like a brick house and rasorsharp to use...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Skeoch View Post
    I've switched to the Alpha cameras for my digital needs but would like a film camera with the same mount.

My question is what model was Minolta's top of the line/best ever/latest version of a high end film camera.
    Minolta film cameras with the same mount are the Maxxum or Dynax models. The Maxxum 9 was the latest top of the line model. The Maxxum 7 runs close behind and is not very expensive on the used market.

As for "best ever", that always starts a discussion and will include manual focus cameras that are not the same mount.

(SHHH ... PM sent about the d*i*g*i* part ... )

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David Brown View Post
    As for "best ever", that always starts a discussion and will include manual focus cameras that are not the same mount.

(SHHH ... PM sent about the d*i*g*i* part ... )
    SR-1 or even an SRT-101 Even the Chinese copied it.

Ian

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    SR-1 or even an SRT-101
    I know, Ian! It's the x700. No, it's the XD11. No, it's the SRTs.

My solution is to own all of them.

Shooter
    35mm
    Recommending a Minolta MD-mount camera misses the OP's desire. I'm a longtime Minolta MD user and dallied with Maxxum early this century. I got a Maxxum 5 and 7. Fine cameras. But I could never afford a 9. Even nowadays they go for a lot ($400-500). So when I got back into the game, picking up the incredibly-low priced Sony Alpha 200, I also tried to get a decent film body too. Bought a 5000 and then a 5 body, both defective. I ended up buying a 800si (actually the Japanese version 807si) and am impressed with it. For less than $150 I got many of the features of the 9 and the camera was nearly new. I highly recommend it.
    Last edited by Wolfeye; 09-21-2008 at 09:26 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    In life you only get one great dog, one great car, and one great woman. Pet the dog. Drive the car. Make love to the woman. Don't mix them up.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If anyone is interested in an XK, let me know.
    My blog / photo website: http://frankfoto.jimdo.com/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin