Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,705   Posts: 1,482,809   Online: 1017

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images

what is a good body for canon FL lenses?

what is a good body for canon FL lenses?
    I have a t70 and it doesnt seem to like fl lenses.

Regina Canada (sounds more fun than it is)
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have an AE-1 and an AE-1 Program that takes FL lens; I tend to use the former more, because the Program has a shutter cough (it's off by about 1/2 a stop) and the AE-1 just feels better in my hand. Your going to have to get a pre-EOS body (1986?) as FL lens are not auto focus and I don't know about compatibility. I remember reading an old issue of a photo magazine about how upset a number of photographers when Canon made a number of lens obsolete by not making bodies which were backwards compatible. The good part is they are actually very sharp lens, and usually cost less than $100 for the more expensive models (I picked up a 28mm f/2.8 and a 50mm f/1.8 for less than $20 at a garage sale).
    Once a photographer is convinced that the camera can lie and that, strictly speaking, the vast majority of photographs are "camera lies," inasmuch as they tell only part of a story or tell it in a distorted form, half the battle is won. Once he has conceded that photography is not a "naturalistic" medium of rendition and that striving for "naturalism" in a photograph is futile, he can turn his attention to using a camera to make more effective pictures.

Andreas Feininger

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As a general rule, I think they should work on any FD body, including your T70. There might be exceptions of which I am not aware, however. The mounts for FD and FL are the same. The difference is manual aperture for FL lenses and auto aperture for FD lenses. An FL lens is manual on any body. An FD lens is manual on FL bodies and automatic on FD bodies.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 09-23-2008 at 05:17 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'd recommend something with the stop down lever, like an F1 (or F1n) or an FTb (or FTbn).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by cdholden View Post
    I'd recommend something with the stop down lever, like an F1 (or F1n) or an FTb (or FTbn).
    I agree. I really like the F-series Canon, easy to use and reliable.

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cdholden View Post
    Those are great cameras (my personal favorites of all time for 35mm), but no matter what body the FL lenses go on, they are always going to be manual aperture. The aperture in no way connects to the body, so the stop down lever won't do anything. If you don't need the system accessories or added features of the F-1s, you are just as well off getting something like a Pellix or one of the other 1960's bodies that were made for FL lenses, as they are literally dirt cheap.

What I am wondering is why they won't work on the OP's T70.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 09-23-2008 at 04:28 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Look at this link http://canonfd.farah.cl/CanonFD_faql.html The FL Lenses were designed to use the stopped down metering system of the Canon FT before open aperture metering came out on the FTb
    Last edited by benjiboy; 09-23-2008 at 05:14 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Ben

Shooter
    35mm
    In general, Canon FL lenses will work properly on any Canon FD body except for the T50. Metering with these lenses will be a little more work on an A or T series camera than on F series cameras. Refer to the section of the manual on stopped-down metering with non-FD lenses. However, for F series cameras, you will need to find a replacement for the 1.3v mercury batteries. [Note that the New F-1 which uses a 6v battery is considered to be an A series camera. Confused?] You could also look at the FL series of cameras, though these will be older and more likely in need of service or repair.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There is an aperture actuating lever on the lens, just no coupling for the meter.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    OK heres a further explanation:
    The FL lens I have has an A-M switch. Which I assumed means Automatic or Manual.
    However from what I am reading it sounds like the FL system was designed as a stop-down metering system, where I had assumed it was aperture-priority.
    Last weekend I was camping and I had the T-70 and an FL lens mounted on it. Allmost every shot I took the camera was registering that the scene was too bright and beyond the range of the camera.
    S000.. it sounds like in order to use the the T70 I have to work in a certain way:

1. focus-stopdown-shoot. Not very good with a moving subject, and care must be taken not to change the focus while doing so.
    2. stopdown-meter-unstop-focus-shoot. I know the T70 has a meter-lock button, but I've never really used it before. I will have to give it a try.
    3. use manual mode & shoot at desired aperture. This may be tough to critically focus at f8+, but my intent is to use the lens wide-open or nearly wide open. In this case maybe a camera with a much faster shutter speed would be better?

Let me know if im on the right track. The lens I am using is an FL 58mm f1.2

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin