Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,692   Posts: 1,482,405   Online: 708

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You might what to look at the classified section of Apug.

Jeff

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Here's what's going to happen: You'll either get lucky the first time around. OR, you'll buy the cheapest camera that you can. It won't work. So you'll buy another. Maybe it will work. Maybe it won't. Then you'll buy another. Same thing. You'll repeat this until you, a) give up in frustration, or b) get a working camera.

I'd buy that $99 camera with the knowledge going in that it works.

Going the cheap route can cost you more in the long run. Buy a working camera. Buy it once.

Shooter
    35mm
    I'll second the recommendation for the AV-1. They are dirt cheap. I got mine for less than $20 and it's in near-mint condition. Don't think that because a camera is cheap it won't work. Cheap cameras are cheap because people don't want them anymore. The AV-1 has never been popular.
    Last edited by Wolfeye; 09-25-2008 at 06:13 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    In life you only get one great dog, one great car, and one great woman. Pet the dog. Drive the car. Make love to the woman. Don't mix them up.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfeye View Post
    I'll second the recommendation for the AV-1. They are dirt cheap. I got mine for less than $20 and it's in near-mint condition. Don't think that because a camera is cheap it won't work. Cheap cameras are cheap because people don't want them anymore. The AV-1 has never been popular.

...and with the AV1 use an adaptor to M42, use any screw lens stopped down at selected F stop, and with TTL it will work out the shutter speed automatically for P&S.....of course you have a readout in the view finder to change aperture to shutter speed.

btw you focus at max aperture for screw lenses but must remember to stop down for the shot, as only FD lenses will work on auto.
    Pentax screws are easy to use as they have a stop down slider from max to the set aperture.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    If $50 is too much sell your other cameras
    If don't want to do that sell the lenses you have for the canon and buy film and use that film in the camera/s you do have

I'm tight with my money
    but if $20 bucks is all you wish to spend on something you really NEED
    you don't need it

Just sounds a lot like GAS/persona

Very useful=very valuable does not=$20

Cheap tripod surprisingly good
    Amvona Dynatran
    Buy one used off ebay. Cheap new. Don't let people tell you they're garbage
    They are cheaply manufactured but they're stable like a Bogen.
    Do NOT buy a wal-mart piece of crap.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I think I'd save up, then buy a better body, like the 1st generation AE-1 for $99 that's been overhauled. Either that, or look in the AS IS section of KEH. They sometimes sell bodies that need refoaming for cheap. I've seen some BGN grade Nikkormat bodies going for $25, just because KEH doesn't want to refoam them. If you're willing to do the work yourself, you might be able to get a properly working AT-1 or AE-1 for $45-$50, then buy one of the kits off eBait.

-J
    APUG: F4, F3P, F2ASx2, F FTn, FM2n, Nikomat FT2, Nikkormat FT3 - all blk bodies
    DPUG: D200
    Nikkors: 18-70/3.5-4.5G AF-S DX (for DPUG), 28/3.5 H, 35/2 O, 35-135/3.5-4.5 AF, 50/1.4 S, 50/1.4 SC, 55/2.8 Micro AIS, 85/1.8 K, 180/2.8 ED AIS

My FB - My flickr stream

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    How about a Olympus XA from KEH? More or less manual, great lens, and tiny size!

Oh, and 65$
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

Shooter
    35mm
    I've been happy with my Rebel S, they go for about 40 USD

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That Rebel won't work with the older FD lenses that the AT-1 used.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by cdholden View Post
    That Rebel won't work with the older FD lenses that the AT-1 used.
    Oh, I figured that was ok because he linked to a bunch of EF cameras. Didn't read close enough I guess.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin