Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,915   Posts: 1,556,312   Online: 934

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

What's pretty much the cheapest 35mm camera?

Well, my Canon AT-1 apparently didn't fix itself after all. It still exposes about 5% of photos drastically wrong due to the shutter sticking or something. It was a very useful camera for me because I could keep it loaded with B&W all the time, and I had a 2x teleconverter for it and I don't have any other long lenses for my other cameras. I can't afford to fix it, cause it would probably cost over $100. Unfortunately it seems AT1 cameras go for $50 or more, which is still too much. So, I want a cheap camera. It doesn't have to be a canon if the whole works is cheap enough, but I have a canon lens already. The only features I really care about are TTL metering; it can be manual with a viewfinder needle or whatever but I don't want to have to use a meter. I've found some Canon's on keh for $20, but I'm not sure if the lenss I have will fit them. Some are AF.

eos

eos elan

eos elan II

rebel

rebel G

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Too bad. If you would switch brands, I would suggest a Minolta SRT 100, 101, etc....

They are a super dooper value on the used market. I have got rid of all of mine, but I liked them when I had them. I would say to check locally before checking eBay. Then try KEH. Mine were $10 - $20 with lenses from thrift shops, and working perfectly.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    would a overhauled ae-1 for $99 work for you?
    http://www.slr35.com/

i have known joe for years. he does GREAT work!

Shooter
    Large Format
    All the cameras you list use the 'new' canon lens mount and IIRC will not be compatible with the FD mount on your AT-1. If you are looking at KEH you need the Canon manual focus section (There seems pretty slim pickings there for <$50 though....).

Shooter
    35mm
    Canon AV1 (aperture priority only) are going cheap.
    If you want shutter priority I've seen the AE1 program with 50mm lens go for £15 (pickup only).

btw........check sellers for camera squeek on all "A" models....apparently over time, some cameras get the squeek which comes from the mirror operating mechanism and needs a tiny drop of special oil.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I'd say those 'disposables' are possibly among the cheapest 35mm cameras, certainly regarding the new market - the used market would represent a different story.

Shooter
    35mm
    I've not seen this first hand, but I have heard that Canon used foam strips in the curtain mechanism. This is the same foam found around back covers and (in Olympus OM) pressing against the pentaprism. With age it turns into a tar and will surely affect shutter speeds if it is in the Canon shutter mechanisms. John, www.zuiko.com

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I think if you want a Canon, you'd be better off springing for a tlb, Ftbn or, if at all posable, the F1, 2ed model. There are other great Canon cameras like these, including the EF, and most will take your FD and FL lenses. Those that require manually stopping down the lens to meter carry the advantage of simultaneous depth of field previewing, something overlooked by many photographers nowadays.

Some of these are not the 'cheapest' Canons on the market and you'll have to use hearing aid batteries or a converter for modern button cells, but they are highly reliable and even if the battery dies, will work every time, using the Sunny 16 rule, pocket exposure charts or a stand alone meter which, I understand, you don't want but may one day use.

My first new Canon, by-the-way was an AT-1 and I really loved that little camera, the first of a number of 'A' series Canons I've owned, but for taking pics with an older camera, IMO, an all metal body with mechanical shutter rules.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by eli griggs View Post
    I think if you want a Canon, you'd be better off springing for a tlb, Ftbn or, if at all posable, the F1, 2ed model. There are other great Canon cameras like these, including the EF, and most will take your FD and FL lenses. .
    completely agree but way beyond the implied max price of $50.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    bnstein, that's true in most cases but I've had some luck at small, out-of-the-way pawn shops in finding good examples of older camera gear. A lot of the time the shop has just given up on moving anything they might have had in a bargain box for years and will jump at any offer.

He can also post in the wanted section on Craigslist what he's looking for and how much he's willing to spend. It'll cost him nothing and he might just come up with a deal. Also a Freecycle wanted post for free gear can help too. Of course he'll never know if he doesn't try.

Cheers

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin