Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,916   Posts: 1,521,786   Online: 1050

Shooter
    35mm

Forcing a Longer Exposure out of a Maxxum AF 5000

I know many here are more mechanically inclined than myself, so I'd rather get some suggestions before messing around with the camera and ruining it.

I'd like to get some night landscapes. Unfortunately, Minolta's Maxxum 5000 has a maximum exposure of 4 seconds. That's great up until the sun sets.

What would be the easiest way of getting a longer exposure out of the camera? I'm thinking the easiest route would be rigging it so the shutter closes manually.

Any suggestions or should I just forget it entirely?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew West View Post
    I know many here are more mechanically inclined than myself, so I'd rather get some suggestions before messing around with the camera and ruining it.

I'd like to get some night landscapes. Unfortunately, Minolta's Maxxum 5000 has a maximum exposure of 4 seconds. That's great up until the sun sets.

What would be the easiest way of getting a longer exposure out of the camera? I'm thinking the easiest route would be rigging it so the shutter closes manually.

Any suggestions or should I just forget it entirely?
    Hi,
    I suppose that if you really want to take apart the camera and see what's inside you have little to risk. The top of series 7xxx cameras are readily available (e.g., see KEH) for a pittance and losing this one will not be a tragedy. Remember though that the shutter is not mechanically actuated. However, as you note, what you need is manual mode and a "b" setting. Perhaps you might just look at buying one of those cheap 7xxx's which would give you a more capable camera (and "b") and you would be back photographing.
    Celac

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I agree. For what the bodies are going for the time you spend futzing around with it you're better off with a different body.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    35mm
    I'd say you might be better getting a different body, but taking yours apart would probably be good practice.

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Images
    You might experiment to see if cutting out the battery power when the shutter is open would keep the shutter open. However, with an electronic device, this is not generally advised as unpredictable results are apt to happen.

Jon
    Mendocino Coast Black and White Photography: www.jonshiu.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I think Jon has a good suggestion. If power fails during a 4 sec exposure, check if the shutter closes or stays open. Probably it stays open. That being the case, load up your film and get it to the place where you need it to be, put on a lens cap, set a 4 sec exposure, pop out the battery some time in between 0-4 sec, and then use your lens cap to control the exposure.

Experiment. Have fun.*

*I hereby deny responsibility for any adverse results that may affect the camera, the film, or the photographer....

P.S. Can you pick up an inexpensive, all-manual, Minolta-mount camera?
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I picked up a nice Maxxum 7000 with a 28-200 Tamron lens on ebay for $45.
    Film cameras are selling for pennies on the dollar these days.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by keithwms View Post
    <snip>

P.S. Can you pick up an inexpensive, all-manual, Minolta-mount camera?
    Hi,
    Yes, but it won't be compatible with Maxxum lenses. Minolta changed the mount when the introduced AF and anything "all manual" will be pre-AF.

The move to AF made made severed lens compatibility with all the previous models, including the coolest Minolta of all: the XK motor

The "7" series Maxxum cameras will give proper manual operation and their operation in "M" is not completely counter intuitive. If you own Minolta AF lenses and like them, (or are satisfied with the availability of 2nd hand options) one of these cameras represents excellent value.

If you are looking for one it will be well worth the extra money to plump the extra for the latest one you can find. There is a yawning chasm that separates the AF performance of the later examples from the original 7000. (this is also true for the AF performance of the 9000) Also be aware that obtaining repairs may be difficult or impossible. However, given the price of used examples, repair may be a moot point. If it fails just buy another working one and move on.
    Celac

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin