Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,958   Posts: 1,586,116   Online: 1159

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 50mm Lens?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Wooten View Post
    do you still have your pentax? IMNSHO those 1.4 s even the takumar threaded and the smc's are hard to beat. If I had only 1 lens it would be the 50 1.4 Pentax or the Nikon. If those were not an option my single lens would be the 35 mm 1.4 Nikon.
    I just have a 50 F1.8 super takumar.
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a 50mm f1.4 AIS and a 50mm f2.0 AI long barrel version. Of the two, the f1.4 makes for a great low light lens, though I prefer using the f2.0 long barrel. You can see one example of that shot wide open in daylight here. Just for comparison, you can see a B/W shot under low light with the f1.4 AIS.

I have also used a 50mm f2.0 Summicron on an M3 in the past. While I think the rangefinder approach is the main difference between Leica M and Nikon SLR, you might want to compare this B/W shot to the other link. This lens was traded for other gear years ago, and the unfortunately broken M3 has also been sold, making this shot from college the oldest shot in my portfolio.

I wouldn't directly compare Leica M and Nikon SLR, since the requirements of making the lenses is very different. However, I think Nikon do a great job with some of their late 1970s to early 1980s lenses. Be careful of sample variation; I went through four f1.4 AIS lenses prior to finding a great example. Also, I would gladly buy a Leica M again, though probably an M7, and more likely with a 90mm, a combination that the Leica reps loaned me a few years ago; unfortunately, I don't know when/if that will happen, since I shoot mostly large format now for my clients. Lastly, I highly recommend using a lens hood on whatever lens you decide to purchase; it will make a noticeable difference in your images.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat Photography

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Markok765 View Post
    If it is a screw mount, you can get an M42 to Nikon adapter. You'd have to stop down meter and stop down the aperture to shooting stop, but for just a few bucks you are shooting a 50mm. I have an inexpensive Kiev-made M42-Nikon-bayo adapter myself.
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Markok765 View Post
    erm would it be a fake, did Pentax make a 50mm f1.8?...... Oh! what do I know as my auto takumar is 55mm f1.8

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur2 View Post
    erm would it be a fake, did Pentax make a 50mm f1.8?...... Oh! what do I know as my auto takumar is 55mm f1.8
    Oh wait it's a 55mm.
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    If you go for the 50mm the AF-N series was a better build in the F1.8 lens. The new one is pretty plasticky. I could live without the D denomination.
    W.A. Crider

Shooter
    35mm
    Don't buy the 50mm 1.8 AFD. I bought it because it was a cheap fast prime. Can't use it wide open or even near wide open because the bokeh is so bad. Most of the out of focus areas show up as little round circles, like someone went wild with ps clone tool. I use Canon fd and a Mamiya RB67 also and just assumed when I bought the 50mm 1.8 afd it would perform similar, it's not anywhere close. I only use my Nikon with zooms (can't afford the good prime lenses). Save your money until you can buy a decent lens.
    Mike

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by salt View Post
    Don't buy the 50mm 1.8 AFD. I bought it because it was a cheap fast prime. Can't use it wide open or even near wide open because the bokeh is so bad. Most of the out of focus areas show up as little round circles, like someone went wild with ps clone tool. I use Canon fd and a Mamiya RB67 also and just assumed when I bought the 50mm 1.8 afd it would perform similar, it's not anywhere close. I only use my Nikon with zooms (can't afford the good prime lenses). Save your money until you can buy a decent lens.
    Mike
    What do you mean? I just took some shots with my 50mm F1.8 Canon EOS on my dslr and the bokeh wide open was what you described. The out of focus highlights in the photo were circles. When I stopped down slightly it resembled the aperture blades.
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Look at the new Nikon 50, it is supposed to solve the problem with the OOF rendering.

The best Nikon lens in that approximate focal length range is probably the 55/2.8 macro, which you can pick up used for $100-200.

I agree that the Nikon 85s are better than the 50s.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    35mm
    I have thousands of shots from my Canon fd 85mm 1.8 and 50mm 1.8, 55mm 1.2 and other assorted fd lenses, and a couple hundred from multiple Mamiya lenses wide open and I have never had the kind of awful bokeh that the Nikon 50mm has. It is sharper and produces better color than my Nikon zooms, but it now sits in the bag all the time. A waste of $125.00.

I primarily shoot portraits, existing light, wide open, any light or reflection in the background is little circles. I don't have that pronounced a problem with my other equipment. Others may not mind that, I find it too harsh.
    Mike

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin