Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,695   Posts: 1,549,064   Online: 1029

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 50mm Lens?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by keithwms View Post
    Look at the new Nikon 50, it is supposed to solve the problem with the OOF rendering.

The best Nikon lens in that approximate focal length range is probably the 55/2.8 macro, which you can pick up used for $100-200.

I agree that the Nikon 85s are better than the 50s.
    Keith, the AF-D version? I may look into the macro, even if it is a bit slower. I do have mirror lockup and a good tripod now!
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by salt View Post
    I have thousands of shots from my Canon fd 85mm 1.8 and 50mm 1.8, 55mm 1.2 and other assorted fd lenses, and a couple hundred from multiple Mamiya lenses wide open and I have never had the kind of awful bokeh that the Nikon 50mm has. It is sharper and produces better color than my Nikon zooms, but it now sits in the bag all the time. A waste of $125.00.

I primarily shoot portraits, existing light, wide open, any light or reflection in the background is little circles. I don't have that pronounced a problem with my other equipment. Others may not mind that, I find it too harsh.
    Mike
    Hey Mike, is yours the AF-D?
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Markok765 View Post
    Keith, the AF-D version?
    No, the 50 G, it is AFS. It isn't out yet. Will be in December. Save your pennies! Would be kind of ironic to slap an AFS lens on an F5 though, eh. Even more ironic to use a manual macro 55! But it is a fine piece and you may find true pleasure with it; a lot of folks swear by it. Check the charts at photodo if in doubt. Too bad it's not produced any more.

IMHO Nikon is probably going to come out with a fresh batch of better designs now that the ZFs have proven popular, despite their price-point and lack of AF. Stay tuned.

Again, the Nikon 85s are better than the 50s.... and I think the Nikon 105s might even be a bit better still.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    35mm
    Yes, it is the AF-D.
    Mike

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by keithwms View Post
    No, the 50 G, it is AFS. It isn't out yet. Will be in December. Save your pennies!

But you may find true pleasure with that macro lens, a lot of folks swear by it.

IMHO Nikon is probably going to come out with a fresh batch of better designs now that the ZFs have proven popular, despite their price-point and lack of AF. Stay tuned.
    Keith, is that macro also sharp at normal focus range/infinity?
    I am not going to buy a G lens, if only to have more compatibility. I was also considering a F3 to go along my F5 as a ultrawide quick focus camera or a backup.
    Mike, I don't shoot a lot of portraits, and I don't find the circles a problem. I was going for the lens to have a different focal length[for a change] and possibly as a lower light lens.
    Last edited by Markok765; 09-29-2008 at 09:50 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Yes, the "micros" are super at all ranges of focus.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin