Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,273   Posts: 1,534,583   Online: 1038

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 50mm Lens?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

50mm Lens?

I am considering buying a 50mm lens for Nikon. I didn't use my 50mm from my Pentax SLR a lot, but I just developed some photos shot with a Leica 50mm f2 summicron and they are beautiful. EX:
    I now have a 28mm on the nikon and I love it for general photography, which includes people a lot.
    What do you guys think? Should I buy a 50mm AF Nikkot [$150]?
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    They are nice for low light times, but otherwise I don't use mine much. If I were starting to build out a kit, I'd probably lean toward a fast 85 or so, YMMV.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think a 50mm lens is a great partner with a 28. The 50 allows for shallow depth of field when used at larger f/stops, which can be very effective and tighter framing. If it's in your budget, I say go for it.

Richard Wasserman

Shooter
    Multi Format
    what body do you have? i use the nikkor 50mm f/1.4 AFD and it works very well on both my AF and MF cameras, the only caveat being that it has a loose focus ring and short focus throw compared to MF lenses. i think it cost me less than $300 new.

for MF bodies, there is the nikkor 50mm f/1.2 AI-S which was manufactured right up until about a couple years ago. you can still find it new in places. of course there are still the old f/1.4 AI-S lenses which are great as well.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I have the F5. The F1.4 is a bit too expensive for me until I get a job!
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

Shooter
    Multi Format
    hehe i hear you. the 50mm f/1.8 AFD is dirt cheap!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I only paid $209 US for my 50/1.4D new (grey market) from B&H... five years ago mind, and prices have changed, but it still isn't terribly expensive.

That having been said, the 50/1.8D (and the non-D 1.8 that was sold previously) is a good lens. If that's all your budget will permit, you won't be suffering.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Any of the Nikon 50s down to the dirt cheap Series E for $25 or so will produce fine results. The AF-D is quite a deal new. In terms of bokeh though, I think the 50/1.8 AF isn't stellar. I use the Series E on my DSLR for precisely that reason.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I do a lot of low light photography and find the 50mm 1.8 works great.

Vegas/mysterious mohave co. az, Big Pine Key Fla.
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    do you still have your pentax? IMNSHO those 1.4 s even the takumar threaded and the smc's are hard to beat. If I had only 1 lens it would be the 50 1.4 Pentax or the Nikon. If those were not an option my single lens would be the 35 mm 1.4 Nikon.
    [FONT="Arial Black"][/FONT]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin