Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,214   Posts: 1,532,119   Online: 1054

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nikon Ftn

Shooter
    35mm

Nikon Ftn

I have a Nikon Ftn equiped with a 43-86mm f/3.5 Zoom-Nikkor Auto. I'm using them for B&W photography. The meter does not work, as it needs batteries which aren't sold anymore. I also have a Gossen Lunasix3, which also does not work for the same reason.

How can i get them to work, has anyone found (possibly someone with the same camera or meter) found a way to make it work?

Is it possible for me to take good photos, by guessing?

Shooter
    35mm
    ..double post.. forum is wierd.. dw i know how it works now

Shooter
    35mm
    I've used zinc-air hearing aid batteries, with a home-made brass ring around them (cut on my lathe), so that they match the original battery in outside diameter. I've also used the same hearing aid batteries, with the shell of an original battery "hollowed out". The zinc-air batteries don't last that long (couple months), but the voltage will be correct.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There is an alkaline substitute that has a slightly lower voltage. I use one of those. To calibrate, I took another camera with a built in meter, focused on a scene outside, and adjusted the f/stop and shutter to get a zero needle. Then I focused the F on the exact same scene, set the f/stop and shutter speed the same as the second camera, then turned the ASA setting until the needle matched. I've found this is close enough for the kind of street shooting I do.
    juan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You can match the outside diameter with a small rubber o-ring.Got a pack of them from my local hardware store for a few bucks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by juan View Post
    There is an alkaline substitute that has a slightly lower voltage. I use one of those. To calibrate ...
    This works fine, and is probably the easiest and possibly cheapest solution. But be sure to check the metering every few months or so before going out for a shoot. Alkalines slowly lose voltage and need to be replaced when the voltage drops enough to effect readings - the battery will still have half of it's life left so you can re-re-calibrate with ASA adjustment rather than use a brand-new battery.
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You can get an adapter for the Gossen and Nikon both.
    The adapter incorporates a voltage reducing component that doesn't require adjustment or compensation. Ain't cheap but allows the use of silver batteries that give longer life and proper voltage.
    I believe both Bogen who handles Gossen now and C.R.I.S. would be able to sell you the adapter.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    35mm
    Gossen has a kit complete with 2 MS-76 Silver batteries
    GOSSEN LUNA-PRO BATTERY KIT BOGEN 4145
    Last price I had was under $18.00 USD

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I bought a couple of adapters from Frans de Grujiter in the Netherlands, for the Ftn meter of my F. It was 30 euros for two. Basically hollowed out PX625 shells altered to reduce the voltage of normal 1.5v cells. Seem to work pretty well. You could email him at battery.adapter@orange.nl to see if he still has any.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The Gossen kit is in stock at BH Photo, $37 or so

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin