Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,979   Posts: 1,523,778   Online: 1202

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Zenit TTL

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The metering system is a lot better than in older Zeniths with selenium meter, but still needs to be checked before you can be sure if it works properly.

Jamming iris is a common problem with Russian automatic diaphragm lenses. You have to check if it stops down properly when you push the shutter button half way down.

Shooter
    35mm
    How can I check the meter;

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nick10 View Post
    ThanksI will be careful not to shred the film. Do you know if the meter is reliable;I ask again because I want to know if it worths to use the meter
    Nick,
    To check the meter. Set the camera to 110 GOST. Set the shutter to 1/125. On a bright sunny day, an average scene should meter about f/16.

Welcome to the gang. I also have a Zenit slr.
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    35mm
    What do you mean to set the camera to 110 GOST;

Shooter
    Medium Format
    GOST is the film speed system used in the Soviet Union
    Chris Crawford
    Fine Art Photography of Indiana and other places no one else photographs.

http://www.chriscrawfordphoto.com

My Tested Developing Times with the films and developers I use

Become a fan of my work on Facebook

Fort Wayne, Indiana

Shooter
    35mm
    In my Zenit in the wheel I select the film speed has DIN and roct ASA(in russian).Do you mean this ;

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    What do you mean to set the camera to 110 GOST;
    ****** I just checked my Zenit 122 (my newer Zenit). The film sensistivity dial (under the rewind knob) reads ISO-GOST. There is a slight difference between ISO speeds and GOST speeds but it probably can be ignored. The progression of film speed numerals on this camera leads me to believe that Zenit is now using "ASA" (ISO) numbers. BTW, ISO ("ASA") 125 is equal to GOST 110---neither of which has a number setting on the Zenit I have in front of me.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    In my Zenit in the wheel I select the film speed has DIN and roct ASA(in russian).Do you mean this ;
    Yes, Nick.

A DIN setting of 22 should be equivalent to ISO 125, GOST 110.
    The hint I gave earlier is the Sunny 16 rule. USe the "ASA" as a shutter speed, set the f/stop to f/16 on a bright sunny day, and your exposure shall be pretty much dead on. You can use that "rule" for a quick/rough check of the meter's accuracy.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    [You have to check if it stops down properly when you push the shutter button half way down.[/QUOTE]

Also, Nick; On slower shutter speeds (ca. 1/25 and slower, you must be sure to hold the shutter release down until after you hear the shutter complete its cycle. The lens aperture is connected to the shutter release on these cameras. If you let up too soon, the aperture will begin opening before the exposure has been completely made.

These cameras are not the most up-to-date technology; but they are good picture takers; and when you master this camera, you can use any camera made. The Helios lens is good for "people pictures" because of its 58mm focal length; and it can be very, very sharp.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Anscojohn View Post
    ****** I just checked my Zenit 122 (my newer Zenit). The film sensistivity dial (under the rewind knob) reads ISO-GOST. There is a slight difference between ISO speeds and GOST speeds but it probably can be ignored.
    To add to the confusion, GOST was re-calibrated to be identical to ISO/ASA in 1987 (date per Wikipedia). According to KMZ production numbers, the last Zenit TTL was made in 1985, so you can be pretty sure that your camera's GOST scale is the old-style scale, with numbers slightly lower than ISO/ASA equivalents. You can tell the production year of your camera by checking its serial number -- the first two digits are the last two digits of the year of manufacture.

FWIW, what you (Nick) reproduced as "roct" is the Cyrillic equivalent of GOST -- the Cyrillic "G" looks like an upside-down uppercase "L" or a lowercase "r", and the Cyrillic equivalent of "S" looks like "C" ("O" and "T" are similar in both alphabets, at least in print, rather than script, fonts).

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin