Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,707   Posts: 1,548,512   Online: 876
      
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 79
  1. #21
    naeroscatu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Newmarket Ontario
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    848
    Images
    38
    there are mechanical watches same as mechanical cameras. Mine is 50 years old and still ticking. I also have 50 year old cameras still ticking.
    To your question there is nothing like an F2. cheers
    Mihai Costea

    "There's more to the picture
    Than meets the eye." - Neil Young

    Galleries:My PN & My APUG

  2. #22
    benjiboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    U.K.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    6,855
    I would also go for a Nikon F or F2 with a plain prism and a Selenium cell meter. I understand your problem, I once worked for a company who was doing a heating and air conditioning work on a new coal mine, and the manager in charge of the contract told me he wasn't allowed on site because the pacemaker on his heart was battery powered !
    Ben

  3. #23

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Phoeinx Arizona
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,343
    What range of lens are you looking for. If all you need is standard set such as a 28, 50, and short tele an alternaitve is a Kodak Retina IV SLR with a built in Selenim meter, I have a Retina IIIC, the meter is spot on.

  4. #24

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    861
    Nikon FM or FM2. Unless you find a good deal an F or F2 will run lots of money, since those are too collectible. You can add a Sekonic L-398 to your kit, and have a reliable meter that does not need batteries.

    Ciao!

    Gordon Moat Photography

  5. #25
    Nicholas Lindan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio USA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    2,376
    Images
    4
    Plain prisms for the F2 have become a collectors' fetish and prices are high.

    However, busted early model photomics for the F2 are a dime a dozen. Just leave the battery out.

    For this sort of location - where equipment is likely to get banged about or covered in glop - it may be prudent to buy the cheapest camera you can get away with, including a spare body or two. Early Nikkormats with busted meters may the be the cheapest thing going.

    As for light meters, get an old Norwood Director or Sekonic 398(?) that is known to be accurate. They can take quite a knocking. I have found Westons to be rather fragile in comparison.
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

  6. #26
    markbarendt's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Ignacio, CO, USA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    5,757
    Blog Entries
    3
    Images
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by naeroscatu View Post
    there are mechanical watches same as mechanical cameras. Mine is 50 years old and still ticking. I also have 50 year old cameras still ticking.
    To your question there is nothing like an F2. cheers
    Wow, analogue watches, I'd almost forgotten.

    Actually I don't wear watches or jewelry because it can get caught and drag me into the machinery.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

    "We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

  7. #27
    markbarendt's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Ignacio, CO, USA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    5,757
    Blog Entries
    3
    Images
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    I would also go for a Nikon F or F2 with a plain prism and a Selenium cell meter. I understand your problem, I once worked for a company who was doing a heating and air conditioning work on a new coal mine, and the manager in charge of the contract told me he wasn't allowed on site because the pacemaker on his heart was battery powered !
    Yep, I worked in coal mines some years back before MSHA got serious. It is way too much "fun" watching your bosses use their gas meters to see if it was safe to light their cigarettes underground. :o
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

    "We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

  8. #28
    markbarendt's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Ignacio, CO, USA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    5,757
    Blog Entries
    3
    Images
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Lindan View Post
    Plain prisms for the F2 have become a collectors' fetish and prices are high.

    However, busted early model photomics for the F2 are a dime a dozen. Just leave the battery out.

    For this sort of location - where equipment is likely to get banged about or covered in glop - it may be prudent to buy the cheapest camera you can get away with, including a spare body or two. Early Nikkormats with busted meters may the be the cheapest thing going.

    As for light meters, get an old Norwood Director or Sekonic 398(?) that is known to be accurate. They can take quite a knocking. I have found Westons to be rather fragile in comparison.
    Thanks for the lead on the Sekonic.

    Actually the camera will stay clean. If we are making a mess it won't be out.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

    "We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

  9. #29

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Phoeinx Arizona
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,343
    Quote Originally Posted by markbarendt View Post
    Thanks for the lead on the Sekonic.

    Actually the camera will stay clean. If we are making a mess it won't be out.
    If you want to shoot in a mess, get a Nikkous I, great for working in toxic messey places.

  10. #30
    PhotoJim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Regina, SK, CA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    2,221
    I have a two-year-old Gruen mechanical watch. Wasn't even very expensive (around $50). Nice timepiece.

    Rolexes are mechanical too if you can afford them.

    Do you absolutely need "T"? "B" works too but you need a cable release to hold the shutter open (no biggie). If B will work, your list of possibilities:

    Nikkormat FS (rare, no meter so no possibility of using a battery)
    Nikkormat FT
    Nikkormat FTn
    Nikkormat FT2
    Nikkormat FT3
    Nikon FM
    Nikon FM2/FM2n
    Nikon F
    Nikon F2

    Cameras that use batteries normally but will work without them at all shutter speeds:
    Nikon FM3a

    I'm not sure I agree that buying an old selenium meter is wise. The meters lose sensitivity after many years. You can still buy a new one (there are a couple of different brands available) at reasonable prices that will function for 20 years or so if you take care of them. Bear in mind that selenium cell meters are nowhere nearly as sensitive in low light as battery-powered meters are.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

    A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

    Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin