Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,295   Posts: 1,535,596   Online: 1106

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl K View Post
    Marty Forscher, the legendary camera technician and inventor, told me that the Nikon F2 was and is the most durable 35mm camera ever built. He said that if he were stuck on a desert island and could have only one camera, the F2 would be his choice. You could put up aluminum siding on your house using the F2 as a hammer.
    I am not one to baby my equipment, after all they are simply tools, but I haven't used a camera as a hammer yet . Knowing the F2 can take a good bit of abuse is reassuring.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Mark, the F2 is the one I'd go for, with the F being a close second.

-J
    APUG: F4, F3P, F2ASx2, F
    DPUG: D200
    Nikkors: 18-70/3.5-4.5G AF-S DX (f/D200), 24/2.8 AI, 50/1.4 AI, 50/2 H, 85/1.8 K, 105/4 Micro AIS, 180/2.8 ED AIS, 300/4.5 ED AI

My FB - My flickr stream
    My SmugMug

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Occurs to mention that anything sparking at all-- say a chrome plated camera dropped on an industrial steel floor or truck bed could be fatal in an explosive environment. Now, I'm not 100% certain but strongly suspect that a chrome body would spark, even if the chrome is over plated over a brass or stainless base. This seems to me more dangerous in an explosive environment than a little 1.5V DC battery arcing at switch-on. (This is the reason for brass wrenches and hammers, no?).

One could choose a painted brass black body early F2, but even then, strap lugs are still chromed on most cameras.

Rules is rules and no one may challenge you if a specific prohibition isn't clearly specified, but personally I'd rather not blow up, than not break a rule.

All that said, the Pentax LX would be a great choice outside of the brand.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Good thought.

We are not to the point or possibility of using brass tools in our work. We use chrome all the time.

The color doesn't fix the issue. Black wrenches can spark just the same. Only truly brass tools fix the issue you bring up.

Quote Originally Posted by Pupfish View Post
    Occurs to mention that anything sparking at all-- say a chrome plated camera dropped on an industrial steel floor or truck bed could be fatal in an explosive environment. Now, I'm not 100% certain but strongly suspect that a chrome body would spark, even if the chrome is over plated over a brass or stainless base. This seems to me more dangerous in an explosive environment than a little 1.5V DC battery arcing at switch-on. (This is the reason for brass wrenches and hammers, no?).

One could choose a painted brass black body early F2, but even then, strap lugs are still chromed on most cameras.

Rules is rules and no one may challenge you if a specific prohibition isn't clearly specified, but personally I'd rather not blow up, than not break a rule.

All that said, the Pentax LX would be a great choice outside of the brand.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The Nikon FM3a is a top of the line full manual camera. It does use a battery but only for metering and can be removed. The FM3a can be a bit pricey for it's age but it is the best in it's class.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    The F2 has an "extended" "T" mode where the self-timer can be used to time the shutter. It allows up to 10 second timed exposures. The collar around the shutter release has a "T" setting that used the self timer to hold the shutter open. One of its more obscure features.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Grodis View Post
    The Nikon FM3a is a top of the line full manual camera. It does use a battery but only for metering and can be removed. The FM3a can be a bit pricey for it's age but it is the best in it's class.
    The FM3a has both electronic and manual shutter control, so with batteries installed, the batteries power the meter and the shutter. I purchased one because of that feature but have yet to use the camera without batteries. Any of the FM series in excellent conidtion would suffice. The newer the camera, the less possible problems. Good luck!-Dick

Shooter
    35mm
    I have shot both my FM3a and F2-AS without batteries and gotten great results mentally calculating exposure. Its really not that hard and print film is pretty forgiving if your a stop off. For the features you were looking for, I would advise any variant of the F2. They can be found a lot cheaper than the FM3a and generally are in user condition so you wouldnt feel bad about adding a mark or two getting on it as you are shooting. The F2 really is IMO the finest example of mechanical SLR cameras. It feels like a fine swiss watch. Shooting with mine is a complete joy and I find myself using it 60% of the time more than my FM3a simply for the way it feels in my hand. Oh and it features 100% view finder also which is nice.

Shooter
    35mm
    F2 or FM

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin