Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,011   Posts: 1,524,677   Online: 740

Page 1 of 8 1234567 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

No batteries allowed, which Nikon 35mm?

My "day work" is in the Natural Gas industry on production sites. Using anything electrical, like a camera with a battery installed is possible but it's a logistical nightmare; permits, extra people, gas meters, approval for each session of shooting ... all because it poses the very real risk of igniting gas that may be leaking.

This makes snaps close to impossible.

I want to solve this problem with a fully manual Nikon SLR, one that can at least shoot nicely without the battery installed and I'd also like the "T" setting for long exposures elsewhere in my life.

Any suggestions?
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Any particular reason for the brand restriction? Already have lenses and other bodies?

Lee

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Get one F2 and be happy!

André

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee L View Post
    Any particular reason for the brand restriction? Already have lenses and other bodies?

Lee
    Exactly.

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Any of the manual Nikons will work -- F, F2, FM, FM2. Also, the manual FT series Nikkormats.

But, here's a question that I'm embarrassed I don't know the answer to: Doesn't every camera with a flash connection, whether it's a hotshoe or plug, generate some sort of electrical impulse whenever the shutter is tripped? Or does there have to be an activated flash unit connected in order for there to be a current generated?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I should have also addressed Mark's question about a T setting. I think only the F and F2 have that feature. So, as André said, get an F2!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Merritt View Post
    Any of the manual Nikons will work -- F, F2, FM, FM2. Also, the manual FT series Nikkormats.

But, here's a question that I'm embarrassed I don't know the answer to: Doesn't every camera with a flash connection, whether it's a hotshoe or plug, generate some sort of electrical impulse whenever the shutter is tripped? Or does there have to be an activated flash unit connected in order for there to be a current generated?
    Great question, needs an answer.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    And if you use camera without batteries, you would have to use handheld meter, and those use batteries too. Yes, there are meters without batteries, but for payed assignement can you trust on them or your head calculations?
    Bosnia... You don't have to be crazy to live here, but it helps...
    No things in life should be left unfinis

Shooter
    Multi Format
    On a simple mechanical camera with the single contact hot shoe (actually one center contact and one edge contact), the current is provided by the flash unit. The camera only operates a mechanical switch to complete the circuit, timed to coincide with the shutter opening fully.

Lee

Shooter
    Large Format
    Stephen Gandy has a line up of the various nikons with his 0.02 at http://www.cameraquest.com/nikonslr.htm. Basically its F2, FM2 or F by the looks of it.

Page 1 of 8 1234567 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin