Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,837   Posts: 1,582,459   Online: 769

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    If you want a small camera with the same mount as the Yashica then consider a Contax Aria.
    Claire (Ms Anne Thrope is in the darkroom)

Shooter
    35mm
    Depends if you're looking for something that requires batteries to function, or just uses batteries for the meter but will function without it.

The K1000 and the Bessaflex in the original list (and I think the Vivitar as well) work at all shutter speeds without batteries, the batteries are only for the meter.

I really like the ME Super (I have 3 of them), and it does have a manual mode, but it will only fire at 1/125 without batteries.

Note that the Bessaflex is M42 screwmount, the K1000 and Vivitar (and ME Super) are K-mount - lenses are relatively plentiful for each, but I've found K-mount to be a bit more common in your average camera store.
    i can't wait to take a picture of my thumb with this beautiful camera.

- phirehouse, after buying a camera in the classifieds

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Olympus OM 3 or 3T. Relatively small, beautiful metering system and can be used in full manual mode. Oh, and there is the spectacular Zuiko glass. Bill Barber

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm with Bill on the OM-3. The Contax S2 is one I hadn't seen before, but looks right up my alley as well. One thing that would sell me on either of these systems is the availability of great lenses. I really like the way Zeiss and Olympus do optics.

Lee

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    I was given a beat-up Yashica FX3 and have come to really like it for its size and nice viewfinder. I was thinking of getting a newer or perhaps metal camera in the same style. So far I know of the following:

Yashica FX2
    Nikon FM2
    Pentax K1000
    Contax S2
    Bessaflex
    Cosina CS1
    Vivitar V3800N

I kind of think the Contax S2 will be just what I want but is there anything els out there in a reasonably modern (late 80's onward) small, metal, manual exposure SLR?

BTW, Cameras I think are too old or too big or that I already have:

Olympus OM-1n
    Nikon F2 and earlier
    Rolleiflex SL
    Canon (original) F1
    Fuji ST801
    Pentax MX, .
    Fujica STX 2
    Fujica AX 1

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BobbyR View Post
    Pentax MX, .
    Fujica STX 2
    Fujica AX 1
    Ditto the MX, and I will add, if you want REALLY small and light, and only manual, that it rises right to the top in my opinion. All mechanical, will work with no battery. Super easy to use. Totally metal construction. And, if you want the meter, it uses a modern battery unlike the OM1.

Really, however, not a bad camera in the bunch here among the recommendations. You might look at the Contax to take advantage of the glass you already have.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    If you already have a Yashica and perhaps a handful of lenses, check out Contax - the lenses will interchange and you can get Zeiss (Japan) branded glass that will fit both also.

A Contax 159 is a small and will do almost anything you require of a 35mm film camera.

"Beer is proof that God wants us to be happy."

Benjamin Franklin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Battery and LED display concerns on the Canon T90 are no more of a worry than the accuracy of very old match-needle metering systems and CdS meter cells. I would still lean to the Canon T90; it is still a very rugged and reliable body which set the design for the later EOS bodies (1, 1N, 1N RS et al). Specifications -> http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography...htmls/spec.htm .

Another gem that is neither too old nor too big is the Olympus OM 4 / OM4 Ti, still commanding respect amongst film pros 20+ years after it first made a statement. This is a beauty if you have small hands as the camera is immediately reassuring in its feel. The multi-spot metering and highlight/shadow control is a tour de force.

I liked a couple of Contax bodies years ago. RTS??
    “The photographer must determine how he wants the finished print to look before he exposes the negative.
    Before releasing the shutter, he must seek 'the flame of recognition,' a sense that the picture would reveal
    the greater mystery of things...more clearly than the eyes see."
    ~Edward Weston, 1922.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yashica FX2
    Nikon FM2
    Pentax K1000
    Contax S2
    Bessaflex
    Cosina CS1
    Vivitar V3800N

Adding Pentax MX and Fujica AX-1 to the list, two neat cameras that I was unaware of.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'll recommend the Minolta SRT102 or 202 with some MC or MD Rokkor-X glass out front. The SRTs are similar to the Pentax K1000 you listed requiring a battery only for operating the meter.

If like a more diminuitive size, silky smooth operation, "discrete" shutter, and you don't mind batteries, I'd HIGHLY recommend a Minolta XD-11 or even a XD-5. I have both the SRT and the XD series bodies and the XD-11's are a pleasure to use. Put some of the same MC or MD Rokkor-X glass out front and you will be amazed at what 35mm film can do.

I learned on a Pentax K1000, used a Minolta X-700 and got hooked on the Minolta Rokkor glass - it is truly superb. Eventually i migrated to the SRT series then the XD-11's. The XD-11's are my favorite to use because they are very light and smooth, smooth, smooth!!!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin