Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,202   Posts: 1,531,570   Online: 1072

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    How about a Contax 139Q? Really tiny.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Davidw View Post
    It was McBroom's camera bluebook, and I'm pretty sure I was thinking of the R5 or an earlier model. It also said that the later serial #'s had the electronic bugs worked out.
    That would be the early version of the R4, not the R5.

Lee

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I think the Leica SLR wasn't mentioned because the title of this thread asked about smaller SLRs. That sort of rules out the Leica and definitely the Zeiss Ikon Contarex cameras.

The Kyocera Contax range included some smaller SLRs, including the above mentioned 139Q and I think the S2 and possibly the others.

The Zeiss Ikon/Voigtlander Icarex 35 is a smaller SLR and came with either a bayonet or 42mm thread lens mount. The bayonet is a breech-lock type system. These cameras seem to be well built, have a focal plane shutter, and instant return mirror and CdS metering systems.

The first Zeiss Ikon Contaflex is a small SLR but is a fixed-lens camera and lacks an instant-return mirror. Aside from that, it's an excellent camera.

The Pentax MX, which I've mentioned before, sometimes feels a bit too tiny to me. My main quibble is that the shutter speed dial is too tightly sprung and can't be rotated easily with your index finger.
    Last edited by elekm; 10-23-2008 at 02:29 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: minor changes

Shooter
    Multi Format
    [QUOTE=elekm;697721]I think the Leica SLR wasn't mentioned because the title of this thread asked about smaller SLRs. That sort of rules out the Leica and definitely the Zeiss Ikon Contarex cameras.

The Leica 6 & 6.2 are relatively small cameras.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    35mm
    The Vivitar you mentioned is mostly plastic. If you don't mind this kind of lightweight camera then a V4000 or V4000S is also nice. I have four of these. They go for $25 or less on eBay and have very good meters. The Minolta X-700 is a hybrid of metal and plastic construction. It's heavier than a Vivitar V4000S but lighter than a Nikkormat FT3. The X-700 has a very bright finder, interchangeable screens, TTL flash metering, manual/aperture priority/program modes, a depth of field preview button and a PC socket. I have two of these. One has a grid screen and the other a plain matter screen. Without a battery the X-700 is a paperweight but with a battery it's very nice. A Nikkormat FT2 or Canon FTb/FTbN are nice. These both have mirror lock-up but the lock-up feature is easier to use on the Canons. The Canons also have the QL feature.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nsurit View Post
    Olympus OM 3 or 3T. Relatively small, beautiful metering system and can be used in full manual mode. Oh, and there is the spectacular Zuiko glass. Bill Barber
    An OM-3Ti just found its way into my camera bag where it joins the OM-2S and OM-4T. I can say with a very straight face that the OM-3Ti is among the world's most beautiful cameras.

Ken Norton
    http://www.zone-10.com

When you turn your camera on, does it return the favor?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    OM 3T - Hmm, Ken what do you want? Just kidding, but it is the only single digit OM I've never owned. Don't bring it to Texas with you. Bill BArber

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nsurit View Post
    OM 3T - Hmm, Ken what do you want? Just kidding, but it is the only single digit OM I've never owned. Don't bring it to Texas with you. Bill BArber
    Bill, if I fail to live up to the expectations required of the possessor of such an instrument, please feel free to relieve me of it.

Hmm. When are those wildflowers in bloom?

Ken
    http://www.zone-10.com

When you turn your camera on, does it return the favor?

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin