Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,952   Posts: 1,522,736   Online: 892

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Relatively modern small 35mm SLR, manual exposure camera?

I was given a beat-up Yashica FX3 and have come to really like it for its size and nice viewfinder. I was thinking of getting a newer or perhaps metal camera in the same style. So far I know of the following:

Yashica FX2
    Nikon FM2
    Pentax K1000
    Contax S2
    Bessaflex
    Cosina CS1
    Vivitar V3800N

I kind of think the Contax S2 will be just what I want but is there anything els out there in a reasonably modern (late 80's onward) small, metal, manual exposure SLR?

BTW, Cameras I think are too old or too big or that I already have:

Olympus OM-1n
    Nikon F2 and earlier
    Rolleiflex SL
    Canon (original) F1
    Fuji ST801

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Nikon FM3A, but it also has aperture priority exposure.
    If I had been present at the creation, I would have given some useful hints for the better arrangement of the Universe.
    Alfonso the Wise, 1221-1284

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Pentax MEsuper. Smaller than any of the cameras you mentioned. Full manual or aperature priority, and all-metal.
    Rick Jason.
    "I'm still developing"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'd recommend the Nikon FM2.
    Eddy McDonald
    www.fotoartes.com
    Eschew defenestration!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    My choice would be the Nikon FM2n

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ricksplace View Post
    Pentax MEsuper. Smaller than any of the cameras you mentioned. Full manual or aperature priority, and all-metal.
    I agree. I had two that I found in thrift shops for dirt, and gave them away because I don't have any K lenses and I generally dislike cameras designed to be operated on idiot mode most of the time. They did feel very nice, though. Light, small, but decent...and you have the whole K lens lineup to use.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I know the old F1 is on your don't want list but I think you should look at the smaller Canon F1N AE. It is very versatile, perhaps the most so of any on your list, with three selections of meter pattering and screen layouts in the offing, the build quality is as good as it gets, FD and older FL glass is excellent, affordable and available as well, plus the Canon can use other makers glass with inexpensive adapters available on eBay so if you have, for example a favorite m42 pentax lens you just love, it'll still be usable. The F1N AE is very reliable and if the long lived battery dies you still have mechanical shutter speeds to use.

Cheers, Eli

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by eli griggs View Post
    I know the old F1 is on your don't want list but I think you should look at the smaller Canon F1N AE. It is very versatile, perhaps the most so of any on your list, with three selections of meter pattering and screen layouts in the offing, the build quality is as good as it gets, FD and older FL glass is excellent, affordable and available as well, plus the Canon can use other makers glass with inexpensive adapters available on eBay so if you have, for example a favorite m42 pentax lens you just love, it'll still be usable. The F1N AE is very reliable and if the long lived battery dies you still have mechanical shutter speeds to use.

Cheers, Eli
    Well, in that case, let us suggest the T90 as well........
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

Shooter
    35mm RF
    "Well, in that case, let us suggest the T90 as well..."

Maybe, except it's plastic, has no PC outlet, is battery dependent and has old LED displays that may or may not be at the end of their useful life.

Cheers. Eli

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by eli griggs View Post
    "Well, in that case, let us suggest the T90 as well..."

Maybe, except it's plastic, has no PC outlet, is battery dependent and has old LED displays that may or may not be at the end of their useful life.

Cheers. Eli
    I felt the same way until I tried one. They sure don't feel plastic, although they look it. Sure, I prefer my old F-1s and the new F-1, but if it is gizmos you want, it is a good choice, and is also cheap compared to a new F-1. IMO, the reasons you mentioned to go for the new F-1 are all extras that I never use, so I sort of lump the T-90 in there with it.

The New F-1 is also battery dependent for all the whiz-bang features you mentioned. If it is battery independence one is after, there are many better options than cameras made in the mid '70s to the present.

Neither the new F-1 nor the T-90 are good choices if you are worried about batteries (which the OP is not).

I think the Pentax ME is the way to go, based on what the OP requested.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 10-13-2008 at 08:12 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin