Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,302   Posts: 1,536,215   Online: 692

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I own and use the 50/1.8, the 100/2.8 and the 135/2.8. Personally I like these three better for travel than their AIs counterparts on size/weight issues alone, although my 105/2.5 is possibly the finest chunk of glass I own. My current 135 is the third one I've owned since 1982. I've owned a couple of 135/2.8 AIs as well but I always keep going back to the E series.

Shooter
    35mm
    I've used 35mm F2.5 and 50mm F1.8 E series lenses, and optically they were okay. But the built quality was not something I'd prefer. So, I got rid of them, and as a replacement for the 50 I got the "Japan-only" AiS version, which almost has the same built quality as the regular AiS lenses, and I'm pretty happy with it.

This lenses is sharper and better than the E Series one I had, and it focuses down to 45cm, not 60cm that the "export version" does, so there's just a lot more use in general photography.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have (in ascending order of focal length) the 28mm, the 35mm, two 50mm (one newer design, one older), and the 70-210 zoom.

The two 50mm are great. The older one feel like it has a bit of play in the focus, but it isn't anything that has ever impacted image quality. The 35mm is perhaps my favorite. A bit wide, but not tooo wide and no optical distortion that I have ever seem. The 28mm is my least favorite; I have never done any measurements to look for distorion, but things never look quite right. It could also be that I don't like anything quite that wide. The 70-210 is a beast. It is big and heavy. I find that it is quite useable, but I find the camera + lens simply isn't comfortable to hold, not because of weight, but because of balance. My usual use then is on a tripod and it gives very good results there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've used the 50 and 100 with good results

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred Aspen View Post
    As far as the 50 is concerned, same formula, more plastic, single coated. I have used and compared the E series and several ''regular" fifties and I couldn't see any difference up to 11x14 under normal picture taking circumstances. Actual experience, not hearsay.

Just my .02,

-Fred
    From when I had an Fm2, I have a 20x30 inch print of the london eye made with plus-x. Grainy at that size, but damn was that lens sharp.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Durability was the main drawback to them. If you give them a bump on the front the focusing helical will actually jump a thread & jam. The good thing is they could be repaired by disassembly & realignment. Today they're not worth the cost of repair.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin