Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,918   Posts: 1,584,731   Online: 814

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

What's the knock on Nikon series E lenses?

Are they good, bad, great? Why would you buy a series E lens? They sell for less than the non-E lenses, but are they just as good?
    In life you only get one great dog, one great car, and one great woman. Pet the dog. Drive the car. Make love to the woman. Don't mix them up.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    IIRC, they are the cheaper version of the 'standard' non-E version. I remember reading in a few different places that they were sold more as a consumer lens. I've never used one so I can't vouch for the quality but they aren't meant to be as good as the non-E lenses.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Here is one, and only one, secondary experience. Back when I was managing a retail camera shop, the EM came out; one of my employees won the camera with the standard E lens in a company sales contest.
    He shot a coupla rolls then got rid of it because the lens was so bad. When ya can't give a guy a camera, it must say something, dontcha think?
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    As far as the 50 is concerned, same formula, more plastic, single coated. I have used and compared the E series and several ''regular" fifties and I couldn't see any difference up to 11x14 under normal picture taking circumstances. Actual experience, not hearsay.

Just my .02,

-Fred

Shooter
    Multi Format
    As good or better than others in the same price area. While some believe that better equipment makes for better photos, it really is the skill behind the lens, IMHO.

On the other hand, its not for heavy use.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I guess this is forgotten lore, but the Nikkor 75-150mm f/3.5 Series E is a fantastic little lens. It's light and compact and I found the optical quality equal to the 80-200 f/2.8. The major drawback is the one touch zoom/focus which tended to loosen up quite a bit (but can be repaired). I believe there were one or two other Series E lenses that were considered good values as well.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I had a 28mm f2.8 series E for a while. I sold it because I was using it on an F4 and wanted the autofocus version. The Series E is the same formula as the first generation autofocus lens, but it is a simpler formula than the AIS lens and the later AF-D lens. It was actually pretty good, but not quit as good as the AF-D lens, and it wasn't as sharp as the Olympus 28/2.8 for the OM system that I also have. It wasn't bad though, it really was quite sharp. I made good 11x14's from it.
    Chris Crawford
    Fine Art Photography of Indiana and other places no one else photographs.

http://www.chriscrawfordphoto.com

My Tested Developing Times with the films and developers I use

Become a fan of my work on Facebook

Fort Wayne, Indiana

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've recently acquired a 70-210 f/4 Series E and I couldn't be happier with it - it's light, very very sharp, constant aperture and focuses mighty close. Only thing I had to do was the Scotch Tape mod to the barrel to tighten up the slightly loose zoom. I'm very very happy with this lens, will be keeping this one for times I don't need my hulking 80-200 2.8 AF-D.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    i do believe that galen rowell used the same 75-150 f/3.5 series E lens mentioned above.

the series E lenses don't have coupling prongs, so they won't work with some bodies/meters like the F or F2 Photomics.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I used to own two examples of the 28/2.8 (came attached to camera bodies I bought). The only reason I sold/gave the 28s away and replaced with a 28/2.8 AI is that the focus ring rotation is a much shorter distance on the E series, and I like to be able to use the aperture scale markings to judge DOF. Got to say I prefer the solid metal feel of the AI over the E.

Still got a 50/1.8. I can't tell a difference in quality between that and the 50/1.8 AF-D, plus the E series sticks out a lot less from the camera body.

Ian

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin