Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,926   Posts: 1,522,119   Online: 799

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Camera bodies generally are cheap ... and for the most part plentiful. I'd also look at the XD-11 and possibly the X-700.

The MC/MD lenses will work on either of these bodies.

Shooter
    35mm
    I thank you for the input...

I have thought about the XD11, but I do not like the viewfinder. I like to see the entire frame in the finder. The XD11, like a few other cameras, has an information "bulge" on the right. This blacks out a small part of the scene on the right.

I have heard the X-700 is nice, but have also heard complaints (as with the XG-M) about its capacitor failure rate. I also do not like buying used black cameras that have those silly "passed" stickers on the prism--which many used X-700s seem to have. When removed--even if removed cleanly--the sticker leaves an ugly "shadow" behind...on the most noticeable part of the camera, too (i.e. the prism).
    Last edited by FilmOnly; 10-20-2008 at 04:48 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: typo

Shooter
    35mm
    I have the XD-11. It's a decent camera. I prefer it to the XG-M. Meter is accurate and is consistently about 1/3 stop over(low reading). Good for neg, for slide one may need to compensate a bit. Shutter is accurate to 1/1000 with less than 1/3 stop error at 1/1000. Other speeds are right on. The controls are a bit confusing to me. The meter is protruding into the view and is difficult to read the shutter speed/aperture next to the LEDs. I used the X-700 only once and it seems OK. The X-700 can generally be bought for significantly less than the XD-11.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    The XG-M's are workhorses. But as with all electronic equipment, they wear with age and yours is pushin' thirty, no doubt. Another body is cheaply obtained on eBay if you want to keep the system. If you have a lot to go with it that would be my suggestion. Or any X/sr camera for that matter. Kick it old school and get an sr-T101. Can be used fully mechanical. Take the battery out and the only thing that won't work is the needle meter. That's what I did.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks, Chris...I am aware of this--and enjoy being "old school"--but I prefer having a camera that offers a motor or winder. If the SRTs did offer this feature, I would have bought one already.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Hey, I get that. I just got a new (for me) Nikon N65. Never had AF and gizmos before so I'm in pig-frickin-heaven right now. Gadgets and gizmo's are not overrated.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    35mm
    I, too, like having a few gadgets. I much prefer the build quality of some of the older cameras, but I guess I like the late 70s early 80s cameras best. These cameras seem to retain the good build quality and yet add things such as a winder, motor, etc. I prefer manual focus, too.

Shooter
    35mm
    My brother is selling his XG-M in perfect condition for $80 with the 50mm f/1.7 lens.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Chan, tell him not to get his hopes up. I got my Nikon N65 with a Nikkor-D mount Quantaray 28-90 AF for $37.73 from eBay. If he holds out he MIGHT get $50.00. But he'll miss a lot of $40.00 sales. Though the XG-M is an EXCELLENT camera, the depreciation of 27 year old electronic technology puts a damper on selling older photography to fund a jump up or on.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    DE Darkroom

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    If your body has exposure compensation you could just set it to correct the meter.. as long as the meter is {NOT} consistently off.
    Last edited by darinwc; 10-25-2008 at 05:10 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin