Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,856   Posts: 1,582,988   Online: 1055

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Minolta XG-M Meter Problem

I recently got my XG-M CLAed. At first, all seemed well, but in the last few days the meter has been 1.5 to three stops off. It has been consistently incorrect--I have checked it in different lighting, etc. I did a battery check, and the battery check light lit (as it should). Before I send it back to the person who did the CLA, I ask: does anyone have any idea what is going on here? I fear the problem might be serious.

Thanks,
    Glen

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It sounds like the CLA was not as thorough as it should have been.... Did your Tech use the same battery you currently have? If it is the same battery send it back!

ath
    Shooter
    35mm
    I the correct type of batteries installed? AFAIR the XG has a CDS meter and probably requires silver oxide batteries. If the battery is alkaline the dropping voltage over lifetime will affect the metering.
    Regards,
    Andreas

Shooter
    35mm
    After further testing--with fresh Duracell 1.5-volt batteries (alkaline)--I got the same results. I have decided to send the camera back to my repairman.

We will see what happens...

Thanks,
    Glen

Shooter
    35mm
    Any other views out there--especially from XG-M users? How has the meter worked in your experience?

Before I forget: the XG-M's owner's manual indicates that 1.5-volt silver oxide or alkaline batteries may be used.

Thanks,
    Glen

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Was your exposure compensation dial accidentally rotated away from '0'?
    Thank you.
    CWalrath

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    35mm
    Good question, Chris...I am fairly certain it was on zero. I guess I will know for sure when my repairman receives it.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    The XG series uses a circuit board and armatures as part of its metering system. In one camera, I found that most of the markings on the circuit board had worn away, making it impossible for me to get any accurate speeds.

It's possible that perhaps your camera has a similar issue. Or it might be something completely different.

But it's one thing for the repair guy to inspect.

Shooter
    35mm
    The verdict is in, and it is not good. My repairman confirmed my findings in regard to the meter, and he replaced the capacitor in the bottom part of the camera. This improved things somewhat, but not completely. He looked further and found that the capacitor in the upper part of the camera is leaking, too. Thus, since repairing this hard-to-get-at cap would cost more than what the camera is worth, he offered to send the camera back to me. I agreed.

This is quite disappointing. Though I like the handling and features of the XG-M--and the low cost of MC lenses--I am almost ready to give up on the Minolta system. Are the XG-Ms unreliable? I have heard that they are good cameras, but I welcome any user input here. What makes this harder is that I have another XG-M body on the way (I picked it up last week very inexpensively on eBay...original box and all), and two more Minolta lenses on the way--the MC 28/2.5 and an MD 50/2 (again, both were very inexpensive and appear to be in great shape)...

Thanks,
    Glen

Shooter
    35mm
    Did you check the aperture coupling? It may be sticky. Malfunction meter generally off by the same amount and not sometimes 1.5 and sometimes 3 stops. Don't have an XG-M but my brother has one and he said that its meter is very accurate.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin