Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,300   Posts: 1,535,844   Online: 917

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    2F/2F, thank you for that article. That is probably the best evidence for the idea that the camera doesn't matter. Those are some amazing photos.

I wonder if he also uses the M8, now.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    You don't need those expensive P&S cameras. Just buy a Olympus stylus epic/XA from KEH or ebay. The XA gives you a lot of flexibility. The stylus epic doesn't, but it does give you a spotmeter, night mode, and I love it because I can just stick it in my bag and when I need it I have a great camera. I would like to get the XA for the quietness though.
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    the t4 ( non date back ) was a really nice camera.
    it is worth its weight in gold, as long as the focusing works.
    we had one and put hundreds of rolls through it, but unfortunately
    the zone focusing mechanism stopped working, and it would have cost a fortune
    to fix ...

too bad they don't make them anymore ... and people looking to sell things for a premium sell them on eBoo...
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Shooter
    Medium Format

Love my 35ti

I bought a 35ti about a year ago. Like other point and shoots, the camera does have some limitations. But image quality is not one of them. When I examined my first roll of b&w negatives on the light table, I was stunned. I had hoped for "good" quality. But these were well beyond anything I expected: remarkably detailed, contrasty, and consistently well exposed.

--Ben

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Regarding the quality of P+S: As others have said, and I agree with, it's mostly the photographer who makes the difference between good and great photos. I've seen some very nice shots from inexpensive P&S's.
    That said, I would think that anyone willing to fork up the money for a quality camera would want a usable tool.
    These tiny cameras have equally tiny controls. That is also true for most digi compacts, hell even the modern slr's have tiny buttons scattered all over the place. Doesnt this make them a pain in the rear to use?

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    In regards to people who buy a SLR and use it as a P&S.. One huge limiting factor I have found with P&S cameras is their flash/low light capabilities. The flashes have very little range, usually limited to about 8 feet/2 meters. Probably the most common source of bad family photographs i have seen is in low light or across the room. Especially at school events that are usually indoors in low light. The on-camera flashes of SLR's are usually somewhat better and combined with a brighter lens, it does a much better job that a P&S ever could.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AutumnJazz View Post
    2F/2F, thank you for that article. That is probably the best evidence for the idea that the camera doesn't matter. Those are some amazing photos.

I wonder if he also uses the M8, now.
    Sure thing. I am glad you enjoyed the article. I remembered it from quite some time ago, and luckily I was able to find it fairly easily with Google.

I believe that we all have to think more carefully of what effect the technical qualities will actually have on the images we make/take before becoming obsessed with technical perfection above all else. A lot of pictures don't require the level of technical perfection that most of us think they do. The most important thing is being "there" and having the conceptual and compositional skills required to get what you need/want to get. If your concepts are served by nice manual "pro-type" cameras, that is great. However, very often a point and shoot works fine, and offers its own special benefits. Different tools for different outcomes and purposes.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 10-20-2008 at 05:35 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Dunno about the expensive ones.
    But I've always had a soft spot for the Oly "mju" series ("stylus" for the folks Stateside).

Recently got a reasonably good condition mju zoom 140 in that online site.
    The lens is a joy to use and the results stunning.
    It has focus and exposure lock for those weird situations, and also spot metering!
    Proper red-eye reduction (with pre-flashes), light as a feather, has eyepiece
    correctin for my tired eyes.
    Can't ask for more for <$20...
    Cheers
    Noons (Nuno Souto)
    Gallery here

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nsouto View Post
    Dunno about the expensive ones.
    But I've always had a soft spot for the Oly "mju" series ("stylus" for the folks Stateside).
    The lens in my mju II is on par with my SLRs. But I just checked 2 Neopans I develolped yesterday and the camera definately could make good use of some kind of manual focus control better than using spot and keeping your fingers crossed. In this respect many PS aren't any better: You never know for sure what they actually focussed on untill you see the negs.

best

Stefan

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    I love using my Contax T-3. It's the one camera I would never get rid of, and I own a lot of camera's from 135 to 4x5. The reasons are. It takes filters, the lens is outstanding, manual focus if you want it (so it's a great street shooter) you can power up the flash with a Sa-2 adaptor for the indoor family shots. It's a very nice camera for such a compact footprint. Love it.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin