Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,827   Posts: 1,582,082   Online: 910

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by markbarendt View Post
    I'd pick the lenses first. If you have a brand preference start there.
    Indeed.

Nikon is certainly up to the challenge (that's my system). There are others that would be as good, and others still that wouldn't be as good but might be just fine for the original poster, depending on his preferences.

Why I shoot Nikon:
    - availability of good, reasonably-priced wide angle lenses
    - availability of rugged, manual bodies that can run in severe cold and yet use my most modern lenses (with the exception of Nikon's AF-G lenses, the AF lenses will work on the older manual bodies)

To pick one specific body would be difficult, but although Nikon has some pretty delicious autofocus bodies like the F100 and F5, and I own both, I seldom use them for landscape photography except when I'm on holiday (I can't bring all my gear after all ). I am more likely to use my F3HP or an FE for the purpose, because usually you don't need to be quick, and there is no advantage to autofocus when you are shooting static subjects.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by praktica View Post
    Can anybody recommend a 35mm body for landscape work. It will have to absorb the scrapes and weather but not be too heavy.
    Any camera with a 100% view finder will be good for outdoor work as these are all built to high standards. Take your pick.
    Don Bryant

Shooter
    Multi Format
    All of the above are great suggestions. I think you should take a look at 35mm rangefinders as well. There is a selection of top quality lenses available from Leica, Zeiss, Canon, Nikon, Konica and Cosina Voigtlander....not to mention some great cameras as well.

Best regards,

Bob
    Best regards,

Bob
    CEO-CFO-EIEIO, Ret.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Pentax LX : dust and moister proof, good (interchangeable) viewfinder and a superb light metering system (even on automatic); rugged and professional construction. Good and — cheap, used, lenses.
    Can fully run whit out batteries. Only to be found used, production ended 2001, worth every cent. Be aware of the sticky mirror syndrome, but with a good CLA, this camera can last a lifetime.
    http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography...sics/pentaxlx/

Good luck,

Philippe
    "...If you can not stand the rustle of the leafs, then do not go in to the woods..."
    (freely translated quote by Guido Gezelle)

PS: English is only my third language, please do forgive me my sloppy grammar...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    For landscape work, I would recommend a Contax or a Yashica with Zeiss glass. The basic kit consisting of a 2.8/28 and a 2.8/35 Distagon, a (1.4)1.7/50 Planar, a 2.8/85 and maybe also a 2.8/135 Sonnar won't cost you much, is light in weight and capable of giving you almost the best results you can achieve with 35 mm film. With an adapter, you can also use M42 lenses. Contax bodies are very rugged and dependable provided that you get one that isn't worn out too much. For shooting landscapes, I think the best value is an RTS or an RTS II. A Yashica FX-3 (one that is made in Japan) is an excellent cheap option.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    I would pick a camera that had a mirror lock up function. A Contax rtsII would be a great choice.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Leica M
    Eddy McDonald
    www.fotoartes.com
    Eschew defenestration!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I think a 35mm is unsuitable for landscape work.
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Indeed, I have one :-]. It's a never ending love of mine. The Yashica FX-3, by the way, pre-fires its mirror when triggered using the self-timer. Some cameras, such as the Contax RX, don't need mirror lock-up at all. But true, it is a desirable feature.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Anscojohn View Post
    I think a 35mm is unsuitable for landscape work.
    So do I, in general. However, well projected 35 mm slides can look superb. I think that for light weight travel photography and an occasional landscape, a 35 mm camera is still an excellent tool. Besides, the Hasselblad X-pan is also a 35mm camera, isn't it?

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin