Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,549   Posts: 1,544,588   Online: 857

Thread: Data backs.

Shooter
    Multi Format

Data backs.

I'm looking at a Nikon F3hp with an MD-14 data back.
    Anyone using one?
    Good,bad,or indifferent?

Thank You

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    The MD-14 is a motor drive. http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography...g20/fg/fg4.htm
    If you mean the MD-15, there is info on that page about it.
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I stand corrected.I should have said the MF-14 data back.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have used the MF-14 data back for a place that I worked for. Whilst it is all right, I didn't like the fact that the information was on the frame.

The MF-18 is the only data back for the F3 that imprints between the frames (vertically) other than that it is pretty much the same as the MF-14 and MF-17, these are the three data backs for the F3.

The MF-17 & MF-18 are designed for use with the motor drive MD-4. The reason is that there is a small drop down piece that is designed to come into contact with the two external contacts on the MD-4.

The reasoning behind the Nikon factory making the MD-4 compulsory with the MF-18 data back, is because as the information is fitting between the frames, only the MD-4 will give consistent frame spacing, therefore it was designed that way.

I have the MF-18 and I use the back with and without the MD-4 drive attached. I will always use it in sequential numbering mode when I'm somewhere and need to know the chronological sequence of frames and/or rolls of film. It can also be set to date, but beware when crossing time zones into another day, especially if you travel from Australia to America, they are nearly a whole day behind us.

I have never seen the MF-17 and I believe it can be used with the 250 frame magazine back as well. That said I have used a magazine back on F3 cameras a couple of times and don't remember what kind of back it had as I was too busy trying to take pictures and figure out how to load and unload.

The MF-14 does have an alarm clock which does work. I once set it to ensure I didn't miss a train, as I was dozing at a station.

I only have and use, the MF-18 these days.

Mick.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks Mick.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin