Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,498   Posts: 1,543,090   Online: 1042

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

28mm as standard lens: What do you think?

I have a 28mm f2.8D AF lens on my nikon as my all purpose lens.
    I find it is pretty good for most of my photography [I can move in most of the time] and the only occasional problem is the lack of out of focus areas.

I'm considering buying a 50mm lens, but I don't really have a big budget for photography right now [its either the 50mm or the SB-600]

What can't I do with the 28 that I can with the 50, and what do you think of my choice currently of 28 as a standard lens. I want to get documentary style shots and I think a 28 is good for that. I just have to remember to include the surroundings.
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Marko, I find that I use the 28mm and 50mm for most of my photography. The lenses are small and fast and I usually keep one on each of my Nikon FE cameras. For your style of shooting the 50mm may be more practical than the SB-600, but I guess it all depends on why you want the flash.
    Rachelle

My favorite thing is to go where I've never been. D. Arbus

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I would like the flash because my Metz is taped to a hotshoe to sync cable adapter, because the bottom broke off. I would also like to utilize the in camera flash metering, and I think the flash is more powerful than my current one.
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yeah, but WHY do you want the flash? Is it to replace your existing one, or because you have a specific goal in mind to use it? I got my SB-28 because I thought I needed one, but it wasn't until I was asked to shoot a wedding two years later that I actually found a reason to start testing and using it. That being said, it tends to stay in the bag more often than not because I prefer shooting in natural light conditions.
    Rachelle

My favorite thing is to go where I've never been. D. Arbus

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Its mainly to replace my current flash, to gain auto flash exposure and more power from the flash.
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A fast 50mm f1.4 would be far more useful than a new flash. I like using a 28mm or it's equivalent in MF or LF but not for every shot it's restrictive.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Unless you use the flash for commercial shots I have no doubts that a lens brings more value to your photography. I use 28mm and even 24mm most of the time but I have the 50mm handy for that "one time" situation. I bought a second hand SB-28 for my F100 that I used once in the last 3 years. There are cheaper alternatives gthat cover your needs for film cameras then SB-600; we don't discuss digital bodies here
    Mihai Costea

"There's more to the picture
    Than meets the eye." - Neil Young

Galleries:My PN & My APUG

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'd suggest a fast 50mm as a nice back up for your 28mm. I use a 35mm and have a 50mm with me "just in case". For your intended style, documentary, i think you've got a great idea using the 28mm. A 50mm (or possibly a fast 85mm) would be a nice back up to allow for tighter portraits if the story demanded something more compelling - IMHO....

Admittedly, i prefer to use natural light for my street photography so buying a real flash is simply never a consideration - new glass on the other hand is ALWAYS on my mind!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Like with most of your questions, the answer is: it depends. Go. Shoot. Don't ask us for permission.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    Like with most of your questions, the answer is: it depends. Go. Shoot. Don't ask us for permission.

"ditto" *L*

I have shot for 21 years with just a 35mm and a 105mm on my Nikon. Since you like things a bit wider, perhaps you might try a 28mm 85mm combination. Learn to use the flash you have and don't worry about no stinkin' TTL flash control.

tim in san jose
    Where ever you are, there you be.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin