Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,524   Posts: 1,543,823   Online: 798

Shooter
    Multi Format

Nikon F3hp Frame Spacing Problem

A Nikon F3HP that's been working perfectly fine began to exhibit odd frame spacing on the last 8 rolls I've shot. I think there is a pattern, or a regularity, I don't have the film next to me, but it goes something like a one normal space, then an extra wide space, then a narrow (to the point of the frames nearly touching) space, repeat... Again, that's not precisely the sequence, but it does seem fixed.

Ideas? Common? Fixable? I've no idea how this winding/spacing mechanism works or goes bad. Would be nice to correct though.

The only thing that has changed in the camera recently is maybe 50 or so rolls ago I had the shutter adjusted b/c it was bouncing. (Sure love these bodies, but I feel like I'm always dragging one of mine in for repair...but I guess they're old so can hardly complain.)

Anyway, thanks in advance.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by GraemeMitchell View Post
    A Nikon F3HP that's been working perfectly fine began to exhibit odd frame spacing on the last 8 rolls I've shot. I think there is a pattern, or a regularity, I don't have the film next to me, but it goes something like a one normal space, then an extra wide space, then a narrow (to the point of the frames nearly touching) space, repeat... Again, that's not precisely the sequence, but it does seem fixed.

Ideas? Common? Fixable? I've no idea how this winding/spacing mechanism works or goes bad. Would be nice to correct though.

The only thing that has changed in the camera recently is maybe 50 or so rolls ago I had the shutter adjusted b/c it was bouncing. (Sure love these bodies, but I feel like I'm always dragging one of mine in for repair...but I guess they're old so can hardly complain.)

Hi,
    Frame spacing is one of those things that doesn't attract attention to itself until it goes awry - or until you get a job running a slide mounter. Watching film fly through a pneumatic mounter made me painfully aware that idiosyncratic frame spacing is both common and afflicts all brands of cameras. I would have the camera serviced before oddball spacing becomes overlapping frames.

As far as the reliability of Nikons and F3's in particular my experience has not mirrored yours. I have gotten may years of service out of my equipment with minimal maintenance. However, things do wear with use / age and need to overhauled to keep them running smoothly. I have been very satisfied with the repair service I have received from ACS in LA.
    Celac

MXP

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by GraemeMitchell View Post

Interesting you get extra wide space. If something wear out one should think you will get overlap. But it seems that you in average have the right space between frames. A theory to explain this.......could it be the take up spool does not have the right friction anymore.....if the friction is to big it will try to pull in the film in the begining and then you will see a large gap.....then suddenly it will "give after" caused by the tension and then you will get a small gap? .....does this explanation make sense?

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin