Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,302   Posts: 1,536,229   Online: 697

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

What is this old equipment?

Can anyone help me identify these 2 items for me? They were given to me by my Aunt, who's now in her mid 70's, so I think they date back to the late 60's, early 70's?

What are they and what are they used for and are they useful still, or should I sell\throw them out?

Thanks

Ted
    Ted Smith Photography
    Hasselblad 501CM...my 2nd love.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi Ted -

I looked in my old Minolta SLR catalog and it has photos of the entire Minolta line - including accessories like yours.

However i'm not exactly sure, but i believe the long object is an early-model angled viewfinder adapter for Minolta SLR cameras. It definitely looks like it was made during the production years of/for the Minolta SRT cameras (60's - 70's).

The shorter object looks like an early-model magnifing viewfinder attachment for doing macro photography on a copy stand.

If these are truly what the objects are, i suspect there should be a rectangular device which actually attaches the viewfinder to the camera.

Sorry i'm not more conclusive....
    Last edited by fmajor; 10-29-2008 at 08:37 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm not sure either, but sure looks like a viewfinder adapter to me also. If I were you I would keep it. They could be useful one day.

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hey Ted -

As i re-examine your photos i can see the rectangular adapter is present on each device. I am now pretty certain my guesses are correct.

As to whether you should keep or sell them, that depends if you plan on using a Minolta manual focus SLR (most likely a SRT). The SRT101 and 102 cameras have a nice mirror-lock-up feature designed to minimize vibrations when the shutter released which was especially useful for copy and/or micro-photography.

I'm not sure what a good price would be for them, though i have on occassion seen them on the BIG auction site.

HTH

frank

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    I think fmajor has it right. I have the Minolta magnifying viewfinder attachment for the early 70's SRT(fits on many other cameras, I use it on my Cannon AE1) and it has a square bracket that slides over the eyepiece. I don't see the square bracket in the photos

Paul
    "Pictures are not incidental frills to a text; they are essences of our distinctive way of knowing." Stephen J. Gould

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Man, I've been shooting X- cameras for twenty years and have had and seen all kinds of stuff. Never seen those before. Your guess is as good as mine. I'm stumped.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    35mm RF
    That first one is a small angle finder that you attach to the eyepiece of the camera.

Useful for framing your shot if the camera is on a tripod and is low to the ground.

In practice, they're a bit clunky, as you get a laterally reversed image (left to right), and the image is small, so focusing can be tough.

I have a couple of these made by Zeiss Ikon and one for a Kodak Retina. I rarely use them.

Interesting pieces, however.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Just figure the straight one to be an add-on loupe for magnifying the focussing image. And the angle finder to be sort of like a waist level finder.
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

These were designed primarily for use on a copystand
    Mark
    Mark Layne
    Nova Scotia
    and Barbados

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Interesting stuff. Thanks guys. Not sure what I'll do with them then - keep them for now I guess as an interesting historial item.
    Ted Smith Photography
    Hasselblad 501CM...my 2nd love.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin