Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 75,717   Posts: 1,669,950   Online: 1008

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

What is this old equipment?

Can anyone help me identify these 2 items for me? They were given to me by my Aunt, who's now in her mid 70's, so I think they date back to the late 60's, early 70's?

What are they and what are they used for and are they useful still, or should I sell\throw them out?

Thanks

Ted
    Ted Smith Photography
    Hasselblad 501CM...my 2nd love.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi Ted -

I looked in my old Minolta SLR catalog and it has photos of the entire Minolta line - including accessories like yours.

However i'm not exactly sure, but i believe the long object is an early-model angled viewfinder adapter for Minolta SLR cameras. It definitely looks like it was made during the production years of/for the Minolta SRT cameras (60's - 70's).

The shorter object looks like an early-model magnifing viewfinder attachment for doing macro photography on a copy stand.

If these are truly what the objects are, i suspect there should be a rectangular device which actually attaches the viewfinder to the camera.

Sorry i'm not more conclusive....
    Last edited by fmajor; 10-29-2008 at 08:37 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm not sure either, but sure looks like a viewfinder adapter to me also. If I were you I would keep it. They could be useful one day.

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hey Ted -

As i re-examine your photos i can see the rectangular adapter is present on each device. I am now pretty certain my guesses are correct.

As to whether you should keep or sell them, that depends if you plan on using a Minolta manual focus SLR (most likely a SRT). The SRT101 and 102 cameras have a nice mirror-lock-up feature designed to minimize vibrations when the shutter released which was especially useful for copy and/or micro-photography.

I'm not sure what a good price would be for them, though i have on occassion seen them on the BIG auction site.

HTH

frank

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    I think fmajor has it right. I have the Minolta magnifying viewfinder attachment for the early 70's SRT(fits on many other cameras, I use it on my Cannon AE1) and it has a square bracket that slides over the eyepiece. I don't see the square bracket in the photos

Paul
    "Pictures are not incidental frills to a text; they are essences of our distinctive way of knowing." Stephen J. Gould

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Man, I've been shooting X- cameras for twenty years and have had and seen all kinds of stuff. Never seen those before. Your guess is as good as mine. I'm stumped.
    Thank you.
    -CW

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    35mm RF
    That first one is a small angle finder that you attach to the eyepiece of the camera.

Useful for framing your shot if the camera is on a tripod and is low to the ground.

In practice, they're a bit clunky, as you get a laterally reversed image (left to right), and the image is small, so focusing can be tough.

I have a couple of these made by Zeiss Ikon and one for a Kodak Retina. I rarely use them.

Interesting pieces, however.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Just figure the straight one to be an add-on loupe for magnifying the focussing image. And the angle finder to be sort of like a waist level finder.
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

These were designed primarily for use on a copystand
    Mark
    Mark Layne
    Nova Scotia
    and Barbados

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Interesting stuff. Thanks guys. Not sure what I'll do with them then - keep them for now I guess as an interesting historial item.
    Ted Smith Photography
    Hasselblad 501CM...my 2nd love.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin