Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,561   Posts: 1,545,292   Online: 764

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You have illustrated an extremely basic point. Any beginning photography student who listens to the instructor and reads the text knows that the left photo is what happens when you listen to a reflected meter in such a situation, and that the right photo is what happens when you listen to an incident meter. One of the very first things a good instructor teaches beyond the basics is how to use a meter; how to convert what your meter is telling you into a "good" exposure using your meter's provided info and your brain. Reflected meters are inherently flawed for metering an entire composition at once and going with exactly what the meter sez. We all know this. It has nothing to do with film or digital. It has to do with knowing how to use a meter.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by digiconvert View Post
    Yes but it reinforces the need for meters even in this digi world.
    I strongly disagree. For digital nothing beats spot metering AND histogram reading. Even matrix/evaluative metering most DSLR's are very good, and again all one needs is the skill in reading a histogram.

Now when I shoot film I use a handheld light meter, but never for digital.
    Coming back home to my film roots. Canon EOS-3 SLR, Canon EOS 1V SLR, 580ex flash, and 5D DSLR shooter. Prime lens only shooter.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Chan Tran View Post
    Nah! in the digi world you just guess the exposure then check your result on the LCD, make adjustment then shoot again. I don't use either the built in nor hand held meter with my digital camera and I always shoot in manual mode. I get to the point where my first guess is generall quite good. I know the respond of my little digi cam well enough that I use it as the meter for my film camera. Well I gota shoot film or else I am not supposed to be here right?
    Perhaps the worse way to meter in digital is to rely on the LCD image of the shot you just took. That LCD screen lies! It is forever at the mercy of ambiant light, and the brightness setting of the screen, and the angle of view of the shooter too.

A far better way to judge exposure with digital is to rely on the histogram. With most DSLR's matrix/evaluative metering works very well, and even for backlit subjects too.

Leave the handheld meters to the studio shooters, and film shooters...for everything else digital, the camera's built in light meter is great but only if used in conjuction with the histogram.
    Coming back home to my film roots. Canon EOS-3 SLR, Canon EOS 1V SLR, 580ex flash, and 5D DSLR shooter. Prime lens only shooter.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur2 View Post
    Yep agree with the other guy, the white sky fooled the camera (blue sky less)......my Konica TC has a good idea with tricky light situations (well it was an original idea about 30 years ago)..........half press the shutter button down and point the camera at some grass or anything light grey (equivalent to incident or roughly kodak grey card)........ it's called exposure "Memory" lock.......it will hold that exposure after re-composing and finally pressing the shutter button all the way to take the shot with the correct exposure.

In the past I used to point the exposure meter (weston) at the back of my sun tanned hand or again grass or grey pavement, and set the camera to those readings.
    I always take the TTL reading of the object or area that I would want to be neutral gray if I were shooting black and white. I do this for both color and black and white [hey, black and white are colors too!] whether I am using my Nikon (35mm) or my Hasselblad (MF).

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverGlow View Post
    I strongly disagree. For digital nothing beats spot metering AND histogram reading. Even matrix/evaluative metering most DSLR's are very good, and again all one needs is the skill in reading a histogram.
    And I disagree about the utility of the histogram...if you had a scene with shadowy area under the trees, some of the scene is the building, and some of the scene is sky, the histogram tells you nothing about the pixels specifically which make up the building! You know the quantity of dark, medium and light pixels, whether too many of them seem to be falling off the histogram, but nothing about the suitability of the pixels that are rendering the main object of interest (whatever that might be!)

But this is an analog forum, so the debate about histogram is pointless!

Shooter
    35mm
    ....and a nice bue sky is sorta grey to a light meter (so wont fool it so much)............so all the holiday pics in sunny Spain come out and white sky UK pics have problems.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    I always take the TTL reading of the object or area that I would want to be neutral gray if I were shooting black and white. I do this for both color and black and white [hey, black and white are colors too!] whether I am using my Nikon (35mm) or my Hasselblad (MF).

Steve
    Steve, you know how to meter a scene. Most people don't, and they call the result, "fooling the meter." Meters aren't fooled; photographers are fooled.
    Eddy McDonald
    www.fotoartes.com
    Eschew defenestration!

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by eddym View Post
    Steve, you know how to meter a scene. Most people don't, and they call the result, "fooling the meter." Meters aren't fooled; photographers are fooled.
    ..If meters weren't fooled then they could read bright white and coal seller black for correct exposure...............in theory you can't trust a meter that is calibrated to appx Kodak grey, unless all of the subject is appx Kodak grey......what happens in practice is the exposure latitude of the film covers objects that are moving to white or black.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by eddym View Post
    For the record: I have met light meters that I did not like!

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    For the record: I have met light meters that I did not like!

Steve
    I've met some I really like , but I wouldn't let my sister marry one !
    Ben

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin