Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,985   Posts: 1,523,949   Online: 893

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Possibly Conflicting Signals

Good morning;

Under the general heading of "Does anyone really read this stuff?" I offer the following:

The comment by SilverGlow (I like the orange tabby, by the way) has me a little confused.

Quoting; "I love my Canon 24-70 F2.8 . . . " And quoting again from the signature area of "Coming back to my film roots. . . . Prime lens only user."

Have I detected a possible conflict here?
    Enjoy;

Ralph Javins, Latte Land, Washington

When they ask you; "How many Mega Pixels you got in your camera?"
    just tell them; "I use activated silver bromide crystals tor my image storage media."

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Javins View Post
    Good morning;

Under the general heading of "Does anyone really read this stuff?" I offer the following:

The comment by SilverGlow (I like the orange tabby, by the way) has me a little confused.

Quoting; "I love my Canon 24-70 F2.8 . . . " And quoting again from the signature area of "Coming back to my film roots. . . . Prime lens only user."

Have I detected a possible conflict here?
    y
    Well, it sure seems like a conflict! ;-)

I've got 5 Canon L zooms that just sit. It's not that I don't like them, nor do I think they're bad...actually I think the're awesome.

But, I have 9+ primes that I use 9 times out of ten. I prefer primes and in fact shoot all my weddings only with primes. So why do I keep the zoomies? I don't know...I don't use them much, but I also don't want to part with them either. They're legacy pieces of my kit from the days way back when, when I only shot with zoomies.
    Coming back home to my film roots. Canon EOS-3 SLR, Canon EOS 1V SLR, 580ex flash, and 5D DSLR shooter. Prime lens only shooter.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I had a Canon L series in 20-35mm, IIRC, that was excellent. I was shooting mainly that lens and a 85 1.2L on a couple of bodies and the zoom was so good I never felt the need for primes in that range. If you consider the 35mm normal then this is a good one to have, provided you are using a camera that can take Canon lenses, even with a Leica rangefinder with a FD adapter and zone focus.

Cheers

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by darinwc View Post
    We talk alot about how primes are better than zooms.. but theres been advances in coating and lens design over the years.

So what are the best / better normal zoom lenses for 35mm cameras?
    It depends on what you call normal.

If you are a bird watcher then you would want something that covers for 400mm to 600mm range.

Generally, all modern zoom lenses of the same range are about equal. Thus a 28-300mm of one brand is about the same as a 28-300mm of another brand.

Generally, the shorter the range the better the optics due to fewer surfaces or less complicated designs. Thus a 28-200mm of one brand is slightly better a 28-300mm of the same brand.

I use a Nikon 20mm-35mm Nikon zoom, 28mm-200mm Nikon zoom, and a 28-300mm Tamron zoom. Between the 28mm-200mm Nikon zoom and a 28-300mm Tamron zoom the Nikon is slightly better because of the shorter range. For the most part they are interchangeable except when I really need 300mms. ====> either the 28mm-200mm zoom or the 28-300mm zoom have me most of my needs. The 20-35mm zoom covers the rest.

For the Hasselblad I only use fixed focal length lenses.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    It depends on what you call normal.

If you are a bird watcher then you would want something that covers for 400mm to 600mm range.

Generally, all modern zoom lenses of the same range are about equal. Thus a 28-300mm of one brand is about the same as a 28-300mm of another brand.

Generally, the shorter the range the better the optics due to fewer surfaces or less complicated designs. Thus a 28-200mm of one brand is slightly better a 28-300mm of the same brand.

I use a Nikon 20mm-35mm Nikon zoom, 28mm-200mm Nikon zoom, and a 28-300mm Tamron zoom. Between the 28mm-200mm Nikon zoom and a 28-300mm Tamron zoom the Nikon is slightly better because of the shorter range. For the most part they are interchangeable except when I really need 300mms. ====> either the 28mm-200mm zoom or the 28-300mm zoom have me most of my needs. The 20-35mm zoom covers the rest.

For the Hasselblad I only use fixed focal length lenses.

Steve
    The term "normal" means "standard", like in mid range, like in around 50mm. So a 24-70mm zoom is considered a "normal" or "standard" zoom as it is "around" 50mm (-30mm and +20mm around 50mm).
    Coming back home to my film roots. Canon EOS-3 SLR, Canon EOS 1V SLR, 580ex flash, and 5D DSLR shooter. Prime lens only shooter.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My feet do the zooming. It's a nuisance at times, but then I get the performance of prime lenses as my reward.
    Depending on the terrain, this may require more focal lengths with you to choose from or a stronger determination to get the shot. YMMV.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by darinwc View Post
    Well, right now I have a bit of a collection.. cannon FD, Nikon AI, Nikon AF, Pentax k, Minolta MD, and soon to be M42.
    To put it in perspective, I cannot afford Leica/Zeiss/canonL glass.. so I guess "reasonably priced" or even inexpensive.
    I own lots of lenses, but only one zoom, which I like to use for photographing people at events and such, and it's a razor sharp, constant aperture lens that will work on all your camera bodies--Tamron Adaptall II SP 35-105/2.8 ASL.

Downsides--a little barrel/pincushion distortion at the extremes of the range, but this is true to some extent of all tele-wide zooms (the inherent design tradeoff in a zoom lens of this range is usually either distortion or field curvature), and I wish the push-pull zoom were a little smoother, but you can get used to it. There is a later version with a slightly wider zoom range, but I'd stick to the 35-105, because I think one invites more problems by widening the zoom range.
    Last edited by David A. Goldfarb; 11-04-2008 at 03:38 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Hmmmmmmm, tough call, but I would choose the legendary Nikkor 17-35mm AFS f/2.8, I had one once and love it, terrific optic.

http://www.naturfotograf.com/17_35_review.html

André

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    My Nikon 28-70 2.8 is my favorite.
    Sean Depuydt - Escanaba Michigan

Shooter
    35mm
    Olympus OM Zuiko 35-80 f2.8, one of their last designs, has a pretty good reputation (with a price tag to match).

Some really rate the OM 35-105 f3.5~4.5 as a 'sleeper' for that marque, and they can be picked up really cheaply now. But I find focussing slow and awkward compared to my primes so don't often take it out.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin