Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,592   Posts: 1,546,044   Online: 896

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My current "normal" zoom is a Sigma 24-70/2.8 EX DG.
    Not the best nor the most expensive either but it does the job in 90% of the cases. And for a Sigma, it is really well put together.

Cost no objection? Then the 28-70/2.8 Nikkor or its recent replacement. Can't afford those yet...

But I still prefer a Nikkor 50/1.4 or the little Ultron 35/1.7, and my feet!
    Cheers
    Noons (Nuno Souto)
    Gallery here

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon E View Post
    Olympus OM Zuiko 35-80 f2.8, one of their last designs, has a pretty good reputation (with a price tag to match).

Some really rate the OM 35-105 f3.5~4.5 as a 'sleeper' for that marque, and they can be picked up really cheaply now. But I find focussing slow and awkward compared to my primes so don't often take it out.
    The 35-80/2.8 is on my shortlist of lenses to acquire. I've played with Joel's enough to know that it is the equal or better of any other Zuiko prime within the focal-length range. I'll probably shed a couple of primes if/when I get one of these. The lens truely is a legend and should find a nice comfy near-permanent home on the OM-3Ti or 4Ti. It's just too bad that they moved the aperture ring to the rear...

The 14-54 on my E-1 has returned my faith in zooms.
    http://www.zone-10.com

When you turn your camera on, does it return the favor?

Shooter
    35mm
    For me it has to be the FD 35-105mm F3.5 attached to my T90, plus the use of my feet if I need to get closer.

It just feels right.

Shooter
    Multi Format

Tamron 35 - 105 mm f 2.8 ASL, Various Versions.

Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb View Post
    I own lots of lenses, but only one zoom, which I like to use for photographing people at events and such, and it's a razor sharp, constant aperture lens that will work on all your camera bodies--Tamron Adaptall II SP 35-105/2.8 ASL.

Downsides--a little barrel/pincushion distortion at the extremes of the range, but this is true to some extent of all tele-wide zooms (the inherent design tradeoff in a zoom lens of this range is usually either distortion or field curvature), and I wish the push-pull zoom were a little smoother, but you can get used to it. There is a later version with a slightly wider zoom range, but I'd stick to the 35-105, because I think one invites more problems by widening the zoom range.
    MY ALL TIME FAVORITE LENS ! I've shot more images with that lens than any other.
    I know people that used it with Leica R cameras.

Everybody I know that owns one says the same thing; " From My Cold Dead Hands ".

I changed to the EOS EF version of this lens, when I heard that they were bringing out the 28 - 105 f 2.8. It was also available in Nikon AF, but non-D & Konica - Minolta / Sony AF.

To check out my online portfolio, ( all film ), most of the images there were shot with it. Go to:
    www.ModelMayhem.com/VanishingPointEnterprises

Shooter
    35mm
    I really like my Tokina AT-X 28-85mm f/3.5-4.5 lens alot...It's the lens that I have on my Nikon F3HP "walkabout" camera.
    Dann Fassnacht
    Aberdeen, WA USA

glockman99@hotmail.com
    -------------------------------------
    My film cameras are all Nikons: F3HP, F4s, N90s, N8008, N8008s.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A follow-up:

I did get an Olympus Zuiko 35-80 F2.8. It really is a lens that will go down in history as a legend. It isn't a common lens that easily out resolves most films. The bokeh is extremely pleasant.
    http://www.zone-10.com

When you turn your camera on, does it return the favor?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I gotta put the Zeiss 28-85 f3.3 for Contax SLR in the mix too. Very sharp- big too. Great, great lens though. Most Zeiss for Contax are.

Shooter
    35mm
    Regarding the Minolta line, the newer AF zooms are now brilliant. the 28-70mm G is much better in quality (and of course flexibility) than the 50mm 1.4 (which is still regarded stunning).

However, on the longer end, I'd dare say that even the newer 70-200mm G, as stunning as it is, is still second fiddle, but only just, to the 300mm G. ("G" being the designation for 'Gold' for the pro-level lenses).
    Film and digital; best of both worlds. JapanesePhotos.Asia.

Shooter
    35mm
    I would agree with Charles that it's always better to use a prime lens rather than a zoom. But!
    In practice, a zoom can help you capture the right moment that you could miss because you have to change your lens.
    Look at all these press photographers. How many use prime lenses? Nearly none! They use the fastest zoom available on the market, the 14-24, 28-70 and 70-200 opening ot f2,8. Sure awfully expensive but damn good.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Instead of "normal" zoom I would offer the term walk-about zoom and in that category a 35-105 or 35-135 would fit the description for me. I've had both in Nikon, no big deal, but the Canon 35-105 comes highly recommended by many, although I don't have it.
    W.A. Crider

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin