Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,202   Posts: 1,531,581   Online: 1098

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Does camera body affect image quality?

I use a Canon EOS Elan 7E and a couple L series lenses. Lenses being the most important part of any camera system alongside the photographer, how important is the body exactly???

I have been eyeing a 1N, but I really enjoy the 7E, and was wondering if its worth upgrading if image quality isn't highly affected by the body, or is it? (I manually meter and focus most of the time, and I don't use flash that often).

I guess my question is will image quality improve with a better, professional quality body or is it just a question of durability and bells & whistles?

-Marco

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    The metering quality and the mirror slap for SLR is all I can think of. Rangefinder Cameras don't have a mirror and can capture 1/30th of a second hand held in available light for an average person. But it's not a WYSIWYG in SLR frame because of the parallax and no macro.

Shooter
    35mm
    The main image difference that a body can make is film flatness, and past the threshold of cheap, you are splitting hairs. It mostly boils down to your preference for the reliability, ergonomics, lenses that a body mounts, or some combination of the characteristics of a system, be it SLR, rangefinder, or whatever.

Images
    What's WYSIWYG?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    WYSIWYG = What you see is what you get.
    Rangefinder, you may loose the bottom of the image frame and get more from the top if your lens is wide open. You need to compensate.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Not as much as the camera manufacturers would have you believe IMHO, although the reliability , and shutter accuracy tend to be better on high end cameras in general, with your Canon L lenses I don't think you will see any difference at all in the quality of your images from your Elan 7E.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    On the one hand: if you enjoy a body, why go for another, unless it has specific features that you need/want?

On the other hand: try new things! Who knows, you may find that the body affects you more than you thought it might.

Regarding 35mm bodies, I shot with an F5 for some time and, yeah, it made me feel like a man. Big "pro" body etc. Then I picked up and F100 and that was it, the F5 was packed off to KEH the next day. Totally different tool and it's just what I needed at the time: a fresh start. At the moment, though, I am favouring an OM1 to my F100 for some reason. Go figure. Sometimes less is more. Sometimes not.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    There are alot of things that can go wrong with a camera which most certainly affect image quality.
    Metering and Autofocus are the main issues.
    Mirror slap can affect slow shutter speeds, but then so can hands, winds, moving subjects, earthquakes, farts, etc.
    Most of these are really rare to see in a modern 35mm:
    Incorrect registration of the film plane, focusing screen, or lens mount.
    Bad frame spacing, light leaks, shutter malfunctions (slow lead or secondary shutter blind).
    film not held flat, rangefinder out of alignment.

Dont even get me started on what could go wrong in a large format.. that could take me all day!
    Ref: wheres that link to 60 easy steps to large format photography??

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yeah, I'm really contemplating picking up a nice 1N in EX+ condition from KEH. I like the feel of a solid camera in my hands, makes me feel good.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    A camera is a box that keeps the light out until you open the shutter. The images is resolved by the lens. The photograph is made in your brain.

I first work on improving my mind, then buy the best glass I can afford, and worry the least about the camera body.
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin