Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,876   Posts: 1,520,255   Online: 1114

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by crabby View Post
    I recalibrate the ISO setting as follows.

Bright sunny day, ISO 100 film, we all know the setting will be f16 at 1/125th.

I insert a 1.5v battery in place of the required 1.35v battery.

Adjust your meter setting to see which ISO setting tells you to shoot at f16 @ 1/125th.

In most cases I have found a setting of ISO 25 at 1.5v equals a setting of ISO 100 using 1.35v.
    Which brings me to asking to to be forgiven for sounding dumb,which I'm not I'm brain damaged damnit!! But I think the SRT only has DIN and ASA no ISO and it seems a lot of films sold now only list the ISO how does one compare the different types of speed listings of films? I would hope a site maybe? Not having a flash yet I tend to use a ASA of 400 so I can shoot indoors and out not having a dark room and enlarging it works for me. I think I kind of understand what your talking about and will have to read this several times and think on it to see IF I can handle trying to remember it and all the other things I have to relearn to use and become a Film user again
    And IF anyone can reccomend in the U.S. a decent camera shop to convert a SRT to use Silver Oxide batteries? The shop in KC I was going to use when I called to get a baseball park labor estimate all but refused to do the job and wanted to sell me the wein cell battery at 7.50 each plus tax and the 120 mile round trip to get there!! The mercury in it will last a while it's just when it's dead I have to have made the mind up and have the wallet to cover the camera modification and shipping!! Wife and I both on disability and barely have a roof over the head and bills paid etc........... So cost is important as is skill!! Any ideas?
    I thank you guys for the ones you put forth so far,
    Terry
    I'm brain damaged,what's your excuse?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry Again View Post
    But I think the SRT only has DIN and ASA no ISO and it seems a lot of films sold now only list the ISO how does one compare the different types of speed listings of films?
    ISO is the amalgamation of the old American ASA and German DIN standards.

e.g. a film previously rated as 400 ASA and 27 DIN is now marked ISO 400/27 although often now, the old DIN figure is left out e.g ISO 400

Doubling the ASA increases the DIN by three.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Film_speed

Steve.

Shooter
    35mm
    Hi, Anyone ever use Garry's Camera shop for repairs? It seems aspart of their general maint. of SRT cameras conversion to silver oxide battery is part of the checking of function of shutter etc...... which at the 53 bucks I can maybe save for IF The tests I just had show I have cancer? then I guess all my money goes to damn Docs!!Damn Genetics!! Happy holidays
    Terry

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There's an adapter available from CRIS camera? It is both a physical and electronic solution. It sells for around $40 & you don't have to have the camera adjusted. It drops right in.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by John Koehrer View Post
    There's an adapter available from CRIS camera? It is both a physical and electronic solution. It sells for around $40 & you don't have to have the camera adjusted. It drops right in.
    The CRIS adapter is disgustingly overpriced, like so much else in photography. As a matter of principle I refuse to use something like that if I can do it myself cheaper. Thanks to a tip in this very thread, I ordered the diodes from Digikey. Ten of them for a grand total expenditure of $5.50, including shipping.

Installation cost me ten minutes of my time and a few minutes driving to my father's house to borrow his soldering gun. Oh, yeah, I had to buy an O-Ring at the hardware store down the street. It cost 30 cents.

So, converting one camera cost me 85 cents and a little time. Even if I'd had to buy a solder gun it would have been cheaper than paying $40 for the CRIS adapter. I still have enough diodes to convert 9 more cameras!
    Chris Crawford
    Fine Art Photography of Indiana and other places no one else photographs.

http://www.chriscrawfordphoto.com

My Tested Developing Times with the films and developers I use

Become a fan of my work on Facebook

Fort Wayne, Indiana

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Advantage to the adapter though is you can move it from one camera to another if you wish.
    Although you have the skill to install the diode, many do not. Their alternatives are pay a technician to do it or go with the cris adapter or have you do it.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    35mm
    Hi All,
    I Wonder If anyone can point me to or tell me why a diode is used instead of a resister to reduce the voltage of the battery? I remember little about things electrical!! And anyone that's done the conversion themselves pm me or mail me details not covered by that page on Rokker files? It'd be easier IF you mailed me at home but I can try to figure out the PMing way here as I've done it on other sites! Or has this thread died? RIP Happy Holidays People!!
    Terry

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Terry,

I think a resister won't work because it doesn't drop the voltage the same in different current loads. On a CdS meter, like the SRT has, the battery puts out 1.35v but the amount moving through the circiut is altered by the resistance of the CdS cells, which changes based on how much light hits the cells, so a resister placed in the circuit won't always gve the required .2v drop, which must always be the same drop no matter how much current comes through it from the CdS cells. A diode does produce the required voltage drop no matter how much current the CdS cells pass through.
    Chris Crawford
    Fine Art Photography of Indiana and other places no one else photographs.

http://www.chriscrawfordphoto.com

My Tested Developing Times with the films and developers I use

Become a fan of my work on Facebook

Fort Wayne, Indiana

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    You could use a resistor. In fact, the meter most probably already has a series resistor anyway. The problem is that you would need to work out or find by trial and error the correct resistance for each type of camera you modify.

With a diode you know that the voltage with a new type of cell will be very close to that of the old mercury cell so the meter should still be good (assuming it was correct with a mercury cell).

Steve.

Shooter
    35mm
    Hi,
    Has anyone used Garry's Camera shop for service? How was their work and turn around time and were there any surprises? I've had a member made me an offer to convert the SRT to silver Oxide's that's very good!! I just wonder about the rest of the camera's condition since it's age has been mentioned.
    Thanks,
    Terry

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin