Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 75,272   Posts: 1,660,745   Online: 1104

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a EOS 300, 300V and 1V and I also owned in the past a 30E (Elan7 in the US) and 3. The 1V is a wonderful camera and it looks like it is built to last a long time. My 300 is 10 years old now and while it is not the most ergonomic camera in the world it is so light it is almost like a toy. With a 35 or 50 on it it is just great as a P&S. The 30E was a nice camera feature wise and it was amazingly quiet, much more quiet than lots of mechanical cameras. The 3 was like the 1V in 99% of the things, the main differences that set the 1V apart are the slightly bigger viewfinder and that fact that the 3 is probably the loudest camera I have ever used. The sound was nice but just too loud.

Overall I like the system and the lenses are very good too. The 1V is a great camera, not as nice as my OM-1 to use but when I need AF and specialty lenses (long, stabilised, fast AF) you just can't beat it.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    EOS 1N's are cheap (100 euros in continental Europe) and plentiful. Can't go wrong with that one.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Opinions here will be as varied as the weather. The EOS 5 is very troublesome with that flimsy control dial on the top that is prone to stripping. Also, the lens release button is not a durable piece of the body: mine was replaced twice in an 8 year period, the dial on top twice again). The EOS 5 again is nowhere near weather resistant as the 1N or 1V and many cases of failed display drivers giving up in very humid/wet conditions have been reported over time, including with mine. I cannot speak highly enough of the almost legendary durability of the EOS1N, which I first brought into service in 1994. It has outlived and outperformed an EOS 3 (not a particular favourite), EOS 5 (worked brilliantly until fatigue of dial and lens release set in, then broken cover latch) and EOS 50e. Much can be said of the 1V but my personal taste angles toward more basic cameras; I use the 1N in CWA, single drive and manual focus (with TS-E 24mm). Of course, used models are now getting quite old and might have been thrashed by working professionals, but may still offer good useable value — up to a point. The 1N, like the 1V, has a benchtop computer interface that plugs into the flash shoe (1N) and interrogates the system for number of exposures, rolls, shutter cycles, reset triggers, error states, etc., etc. (it's a long list).

I contributed to the Malaysian portal for historical reference on the EOS series. Have a look: http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography.../classics/eos/

Shooter
    35mm
    my vote lies in the 1v. after shooting exclusively digital for the last five or so years, i'm giving it up for awhile and starting to shoot film exclusively. i think the 1v gives the best compromise of bild quality, speed, and functionality out of all the eos film cameras, bar none. if cost is an option though, you can't go wrong with an old 650/620/630 which are solid cameras that can be had for around $30USD. 1ns are a great choice as well, but sorta to plasticky for my tastes. Sta away from film Rebels and the original EOS 1s.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin