Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,757   Posts: 1,516,006   Online: 894

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by narsuitus View Post
    If you shoot a lot of panoramic images or if you need perspective control, the Nikon 28mm PC lens is hard to beat.

+2 on that! no more falling back buildings

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Jenkin View Post
    I tend to be a pragmatist where these things are concerned. So long as the lens is in excellent condition and is at a price I can afford, I wouldn't worry to much.

I know that glass can vary a bit but I suspect there's less variation between examples of prime lenses than there is between the 'kit' zooms and 'professional' zooms available. I also come from the school of thought (probably mistaken....) that it would be pretty difficult to tell which print had been taken with which version of a lens - assuming photos taken under similar conditions.

Not much help in a technical sense, I know, but I don't think you'll go too far wrong with a good example of any 28mm with Nikkor written on it.
    Excellent commonsense, I too don't go around taking shots of brickwalls and examinining the results under a microscope.........

At the end of the day it is the person behind the camera that counts first, and the lens is second............photography has even dropped down to guys taking good pics with mobile phones.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I owned the AF-D for awhile. Nice lens. I regret selling it a little, but the 20-35 that replaced it, and the 17-35 that replaced that, haven't exactly been disappointments.

The AI-S is supposedly the best Nikon 28, but I was impressed enough by the D that I'd have to be convinced with evidence. I think either one will do you well - select based on whether autofocus and electronic connectivity are useful.

The 28/3.5, as mentioned, is a sleeper lens. If you're really on a tight budget it offers fantastic value for money. I rarely use a 28 at f/2.8.

I currently have a 28/2.8 AI that I got inexpensively. I haven't seen enough from it to say for sure, but I am satisfied with it so far.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Hello,

I'd check out the Kiron models. Best minds of Nikon went off and did their own thing. I haven't owned one of thier 28mm lenses, but for manual focus Nikons, my Kirons are every bit as good - and often better - than my Nikkors.
    Jeff M

M3, M5, CLE, Minolta XE7, Minolta Maxxum 9, Minolta Maxxum 9000, Nikon F3HP, etc., etc.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The Kiron 28 is an f/2.0. I owned one in Yashica-Contax mount for many years. It wasn't all that sharp at f/2, but it was pretty decent at middle apertures. I didn't find it to be as good as any Nikon I've owned, but for the money, it was tremendous value for money.

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by PhotoJim View Post
    The Kiron 28 is an f/2.0. I owned one in Yashica-Contax mount for many years. It wasn't all that sharp at f/2, but it was pretty decent at middle apertures. I didn't find it to be as good as any Nikon I've owned, but for the money, it was tremendous value for money.
    But now the Kiron 28mm f2 can reach silly prices, although one went on Ebay in the last 2 weeks for £16.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I'm still leading towards the 28mm E for some reason, don't know why really

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The F2.8 AIS 28mm with CRC (Close range correction) is not only an excellent lens, but one of the best Nikkors ever made (apparrently). This lens can focus so closely it substitutes for a macro lens.

The best and most informative review is here:

http://www.naturfotograf.com/lens_wide.html

For the sort of prices this lens is availble for I really wouldn't bother with the E lens - it's a good lens, but miles behind the CRC, not only in image quality but build quality also.

Matt

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Well I just saw some 28mm AIS CRC lens go for about over £100 which is a fair bit more than I wanted to pay really

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Do you need f/2.8?

If you're on a budget, the AI (or an AI-converted) 28/3.5 can be had for next to nothing, and it's very sharp.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin