Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,821   Posts: 1,581,738   Online: 1088

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

So Many Different Nikon 28mm's. Which is the better one?

I've been looking to get a 28mm for my Nikon FM2n but there seems to be about three of four different ones?

Is there really much different between a 28mm AIS and a 28mm Series E one?

The Pancake style one seems cheaper but is there a reason for this or are they much the same. Well I know they are all 28mm's but why so many and which one is the better one to go for?

Cheers

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Watch out for early AIS series lenses- they had a problem with lubricants on the aperture blades. Inspect before buying.

Difference in optical quality? The series E lens is a decent performer. The 28/2 is a great performer. The later 28/2.8's were improved optically. The 28/3.5 is "okay". None of them are bad.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I recall recently concluding that the 28/2.8 AIS is the best, though my recollection could be incorrect. Look it up at photodo and verify.

The E series are generally less robust, but also lighter.

The pancakes are optically a bit inferior- buy them only if you really need the compact design.
    Last edited by keithwms; 12-02-2008 at 05:18 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    You can check the rating on this link NÆRFOTO Bjørn Rørslett then click lenses on your left.

Hope this help,
    -Ron

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The Series E is a 5 element lens and the AIS is an 8 element lens with the close range correction system. A far better performer. If you look at the autofocus Nikons, the AF-Nikkor 28 started out as the same 5 element design as the series E. The later AF-D version is a better design. I once had a series E and now have an AF-D. The E wasn't horrid but the AF-D is better. The AIS is supposed to be even better still, but i haven't tried one. I think my Olympus Zuiko 28/2.8 is sharper than the AF-D Nikkor.
    Chris Crawford
    Fine Art Photography of Indiana and other places no one else photographs.

http://www.chriscrawfordphoto.com

My Tested Developing Times with the films and developers I use

Become a fan of my work on Facebook

Fort Wayne, Indiana

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have the E series or as Nikon call it, "Nikon Lens Series E", they are not Nikkors.

That said it is a very nice lens, reasonable performance and quite cheap.

I just measured it and it will stick out 35mm from your bayonet mount, which is smallish, but not too small.

If you intend to do critical colour work, I would possibly look at an alternative, but if you are mainly doing B&W work then the slight colour fringe one can see on a greatly enlarged print from a colour negative will not be a problem.

Whilst it is an f2.8 lens, it is a bit soft wide open, it works very well at f4 and at f5.6 it is really good.

I just measured the light outside which is cloudy bright, 1/125 @ f5.6 with 100 ASA is about where it's at, so with better weather or faster film for worse weather, you are already at the sweet spot of the lens.

The metal lens hood "Nikon HN-2" is the correct one for this lens. This lens hood is correct for both the 28 and 35 prime lenses and the Nikkor 35-70 zoom lens.

Whilst it can also be used on the 24mm lens, I don't as I get vignetting when it is placed on with a filter attached. As I use either Orange or yellow/green filters a lot this hood doesn't cut it for me on the 24mm.

I think you'll find it worthwhile getting the Series E 28mm, if you find that you are using this lens a lot you can usually sell it for what you paid and move upwards to the slightly better Nikkor models available.

Mick.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Well- since 24mm was mentioned...

The Nikkor 24mm F2.8 is an outstanding lens, always had close-range-correction elements. It is a bit wider than the 28, but also worth looking at. Many of the older 24mm lenses were AI'd.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Get a new model 28 mm, not the E series.

The only E series lens worth a damn is the 75-150 mm zoom.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/75150.htm
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hmmmm, define "much difference" first?

I've tried the 28/2.8 AIS and the 28/2 AIS and decided on the latter. It is incredibly sharp and with good contrast at all aperture settings and distances and uses the 52mm filter size: ideal.
    Cheers
    Noons (Nuno Souto)
    Gallery here

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    the 28/2.8 AI-s is my absolute favorite lens on 35mm. The lens is simply fantastic...amazing. I have two of them. One, I dropped on concrete from a height of about a meter....had it repaired and still use it regularly. Bought the second while waiting for the first to come back from Nikon (took a few months).

Just a fantastic lens. It amazes me every time I take it out. They're getting so cheap these days that I wouldn't even consider any of the others.
    Last edited by BradS; 12-02-2008 at 11:00 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin