Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,900   Posts: 1,584,401   Online: 753

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Critical Macro work

A friend asked me this and I told him (gack) I would ask youse guys.

Is there a fixed focal length macro lens that will allow metering with a Nikon D (gack, again) 40x, with or without an adapter?
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes, the 60mm f/2.8D and AF-S lenses will meter, but only the newer AF-S version will autofocus with the D40X. Same thing goes for the 105mm lens; the older D version and the AF-S version will both meter properly, but only the AF-S will retain autofocus capabilities.

There are some third-party lenses that will work as well, however like I said above, they will autofocus only if the lens itself has a focusing motor (think Sigma's HSM, etc.).

Any of manual focus lenses (AI or pre-AI) won't meter and will only function in S or M modes.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Af isn't as necessary with Macro. The Tamron 90mm AF is another great lens, as well as the Nikkor 55mm f2.8 (I think they made an AF version). I personally use the older 55mm f3.5 and MF Tamron 90mm f2.5 for macro purposes. They're great lenses, and they AF variants are good as well from what I've heard.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Many thanks. His big concern is metering. I shall pass you news on to him.
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin