Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,476   Posts: 1,542,644   Online: 850

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm RF

Olympus Stylus Epic (mju I) - broken?

hi!

I have problem with my already bought olympus.
    It works fine without film inserted in. The shutter and flash works fine.
    When I insert film into camera (film cartridge is on the place, film is placed to the mark) and close the back I can hear the sound of winding motor. Then it stops and shows E ... and the shutter and flash dont work. When I open the back, film is inserted to spool (it should be ready to shoot)... Batteries are ok - if not flash wouldnt work...
    Camera is broken or I am doing something wrong?

cheers from Poland

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You might try advancing the film a little further onto the take-up spool.A 1/2 inch or so might do.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I have inserted as you said and it still says 'E'
    Last edited by Przemowu; 12-04-2008 at 06:13 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kennedy View Post
    You might try advancing the film a little further onto the take-up spool.A 1/2 inch or so might do.
    Actually, I would suggest the opposite. It has an automatic threading mechanism. You shouldn't need to do more than insert the cartridge and lay the leader across the film gate. The camera should do the rest. Do not thread the film onto the take up spool, the camera takes care of that.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I have put film in streched or a little streched position and even that camera dont work... ;/ Still displays stupid 'E' - empty ;/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The camera has a little IR sensor that counts the sprocket holes as they go by. If the sensor isn't seeing the sprocket holes then the camera thinks that either the camera isn't loaded or that the film isn't moving and declares the camera 'E' for empty/error.

There are two possible fixes:

1. Clean the sensor - there may be dust or a film chip that may interfere with the IR sensor's vision.
    2. Clean the take up spool with window cleaner - the film may have trouble catching on the take up spool. Although the film is winding on, it is also slipping. The camera is not counting enough sprocket holes and the camera is declaring this a fault.

And possibly, the camera is simply broken.
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Shooter
    35mm RF
    where can I find this IR sensor ?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    With http://www.olympusamerica.com/files/O_Stylus.pdf camera manual I do everything as it is written. Film is taken by widing motor and still displays 'E'...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Przemowu View Post
    where can I find this IR sensor ?
    Yours is an earlier version than the Olympus Stylus I know, newer ones have a square window for looking at the sprocket holes. From the manual it looks like your camera has a sprocket wheel at the lower left of the film gate. The sensor would be internal to the camera.
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Is the film you are using DX coded?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin