Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,928   Posts: 1,585,216   Online: 779

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Need help with KIRON 28mm F/2

My mother in law gave me a camera she found in her attic - Olympus OM-1 and it had a Kiron 28mm F/2 lens with it. The camera seems to work but the lens doesn't close down when you adjust the aperture. It's stuck wide open and the blades don't move at all. Does anyone know how to fix this? Is this lens worth taking to a repair shop?
    Thanks,
    Bryan Murray

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Is it not designed for full aperture metering, so the camera stops the lens down during exposure. So if you just play with the lens it will be wide open regardless of the aperture setting.

Ian

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Yes i know, but even when you move the lever on the lens which the camera moves during exposure the aperture does not change. The blades are stuck.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You can probably buy another good working lens for less than the cost of having it repaired. On the other hand some Kiron lenses were excellent, it might be quite simple to fix.

Ian

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Murray View Post
    My mother in law gave me a camera she found in her attic - Olympus OM-1 and it had a Kiron 28mm F/2 lens with it. The camera seems to work but the lens doesn't close down when you adjust the aperture. It's stuck wide open and the blades don't move at all. Does anyone know how to fix this? Is this lens worth taking to a repair shop?
    Thanks,
    Bryan Murray
    That is a very good lens you have, but some kiron lenses had a problem with lubricant drifting to places like the blades..if you have this problem then it's a strip down to clean the blades with lighter fuel or similar........I haven't done this myself just parroting what I have read on forums.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Pop the lens off and work it while watching T.V tonight.The shutter blades might just loosen up with a bit of exercise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The repair could run around $50+ and it probably is the lube melting into the blades, you did say it was found in the attic where it gets very hot in the summer. Repairs of this type done correctly, require the lens to be completely taken apart in order to get to the aperature blades, flushed then put back together. This is a very labor/time intensive procedure. If you choose not to have it repaired, DON"T THROW IT AWAY, it does have some value, in fact I'll offer a small pittance and take it off your hands, lol. RandyB

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Optically it is one of the most beautiful 28mm lens you can get. Unfortunately, the mechanics is not sound at all: the aperture blades systematically (each 2-3 years) get contaminated with oil separated from the vaseline on the focussing thread.
    However, these days, you can use pure synthetic vaseline (not blended with oil) to lube the focussing thread after cleaning the lens completely, and this might solve the problem for good. The optics really worth the try.
    B&W is silver.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The difficulty of taking a lens apart depends on the make and model.

If you are lucky, you might simply be able to unscrew the front and back lens cell blocks and expose the diaphragm mechanism for cleaning. Sometimes some small set screws will keep the blocks from unscrewing.
    If the lens is built so the the lens elements only come out singly and not as a block, I'd only recommend taking it apart if you are used to that sort of thing.

Try it (carefully); you don't have much to lose...
    M6, SL, SL2, R5, P6x7, SL3003, SL35-E, F, F2, FM, FE-2, Varex IIa

Shooter
    Large Format
    I never held Kiron lenses in high esteem. They, like Vivitar, Soligor, etc. were lower cost alternatives to the prime lenses offered by the manufacturer, Zuiko in this case. I'd say your money would be best spent on a 28mm Zuiko OM mount lens.

-30-

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin